View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post
not that I dont have some sort of idea but I dont want to start off on the wrong foot and make a fool of myself.
I have a repeater a few miles away on top a tall hospital. I live in an open agricultural area so not much interference.

Slow down, take a deep breath and do a bunch of listening. It's not always easy as a newly licensed ham. But you will get the hang of it. What you will find is that most of the people on the different repeaters will help you along.

You need to make friends with those other hams around you. One of the best ways is to find out where the local club meets and when. Then go to the meetings and meet those you may have heard on the radio. They don't bite. You may even get befriended by one of them that will take you under their wing and become a mentor for you.

The internet is your best friend. Get on there and do a search for ham radio clubs in your area. The search may only turn up one or two, but it's a start. Generally the clubs will have a web site with information on the club meetings and where and when they are held. Should also have some information on the local repeater or repeaters in the area and when they hold the on the air nets.

Go to the club meetings and get to meet those members that you may hear on the local repeaters. Not all of them will be VHF or UHF interested. Some may only operate on the HF frequencies.

Have fun with you call sign once it gets issued. Your about to step into a field that some enjoy and a few find it's not what they thought it would be. There will be both young and old and those in between that have become hams along the way. You will find an area within the ham community and an area of interest that you will spend more time on than others.

Myself, I always have enjoyed tinkering with radios and antennas. So my workshop is piled high with old commercial radios that I have acquired over the years. I also have a good collection of test equipment that I have picked up over the years. I try to help those that are having issues with their radio equipment. The only request is that they bring it over to my workshop to work on it. The test equipment is too heavy to be lugging around. But I will help those that ask for help on antennas and other things where the heavy test gear is not needed.

Again, welcome to the ham community. Take it slow and find a local mentor that can help you along.

Jim