View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyd View Post
It looks like Superflex is pretty comparable to LMR at the same size/weight. LMR-400 is about 0.4" and weighs about .07 lbs/ft and attenuates at about 2.7dB/100ft (at about 450MHz which is close to where we operate) . Superflex FSJ2-50 is about 0.375" and weighs about .08lbs/ft and attenuates at about 2.6dB/100ft. I'm not seeing much difference here. Am I missing something? What would Superflex improve over my current LMR cable?

What you are missing is the construction. Superflex is a type of corrugated shield hardline where LMR is a braided shield coaxial cable. To get the isolation while still keeping the line low cost, Times Microwave wraps an aluminum foil shield around dielectric before the braid is on there. Due to dissimilar metals in LMR, you can have Passive Intermodulation (PIM) issues when in use in a full duplex environment. Super flex on the other hand is all copper.

Now to answer your question about combining your systems, RFI makes a hybrid combiner unit which offers the multi-coupler, preselector and combiner (2 or 4 channel) and gives you a single antenna output for both TX and RX. Itís a bit lossy (power output isnít everything) but at least balances your transmit and receive coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk