View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzian View Post
Setting the clock also brings on the het for am and 1/2 second pulsing for FM / weather.

The same fix applies - temporarily remove a battery and re-insert it.

My first unit shows this issue, but instead of a het on 1070, a much lower amplitude version of it is on 1050. The clock pulse is heard on 95.1 fm on both units. The battery hack fixes both units.

I have to cut C Crane some slack here. How does any normal human track something like this down, unless you know about the battery hack up front to make tracking it down repeatable on the bench?

It's an issue with so many variables changing like signal strength, format (dynamic classical vs steady rock), individual build differences and possibly suspecting the RF section first, instead of the memory / clock circuitry being the culprit.

The battery removal and reinsertion hack is easy enough for picky listeners like me. It isn't a show-stopper. And unlike some who may want to get all dramatic about it, instead I think I'll pick up a set of CCrane Senta over-ear headphones because I like the Pocket's so much.

STILL BLOWN AWAY by a pocket radio:

Despite the easily fixable issues noted above, let's get back to why I fell in love with the CC Pocket. Unless it is Jethro Tull rockin' his flute, I have *never* heard a classical artist doing things like taking a quick breaths, discretely clearing their instrument, or even the mechanical movement of woodwind keys every now and then.

Granted, classical KUSC has some awesome recordings. Microphone positioning obviously plays a big part. But I'm hearing this way more often than I used to, and I think that has to do with the Pocket's exceptional engineering. On my analog gear, this would be just smeared out.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think the Pocket is a great little powerhouse. I don't need any "HD" channel. I have it now.
Chances are high the radio has both a microprocessor and a SiLabs DSP chip, both of which are capable of being controlled by the keypad -- the DSP chip is probably controlled by microprocessor functions. The RF amp of the DSP chip might be picking up stray RFI from the microprocessor, and at worst the DSP chip itself may only have a birdie or two.

My PRD5 has no birdies, and it has both a microprocessor and a DSP chip. So some DSP radios don't have much in the way of birdies.

My Grundig G2 (which has a DSP chip) has some chit noises in certain parts of MW and SW, probably from the microprocessor bleeding over to the DSP chip somehow. My Radio Shack pocket radio has a DSP chip alone, and probably performs similarly to your CCrane, except it has no digital readout and the FM is mono. I haven't listened to the local classical station on the pocket radio, or very much on the G2 or PRD5 for that matter, but I know that the G2 sounds *terrific* on FM (through headphones), and I think most DSP radios are excellent on FM as well.