BaseStation SBS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I had an opportunity to play with a BaseStation SBS-1 today, and all I can say is WOW! Being able to watch literally a radar screen with transponder codes was the best! I guess my 400mm IS Lens for my Canon EOS350D is on the back burner for a while!

ScreenShot1.jpg

Command30

Hey Mike,

When I got into radio scanning, I was hoping it would be cheaper than photography. It turns out I was wrong! Glad you're enjoying the SBS. I'm still using the old fashioned way!

Bill_White

You might also want to check out the RadarBox from Airnav systems - I have one and really like it !

I was tempted to get one of these until…
I read of all the problems and lack of support. AND,
I see the lack of support on their other products.
The latest update for Suite 4 is dated 2002,
Acars decoder, 2004, and Selcal decoder, 2002.
I’m not saying it’s bad software, it’s just stale, very stale.
How long before radar box goes stale?
One good thing about it…
The radar box 2009 software will run in demo mode giving you an
opportunity to make some nice looking maps for other programs like
Posfix and ACARSD. ;)

mrkelso

BaseStation SBS-1 Sure is a nice chase tool to have. Hmmmm maybe i could swing it without the wife knowing.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the new SBS-1er is being release soon.

Kinetic-Avionic SBS-1er "Fourth Generation" with built in Air Band & FM Receiver
http://www.virtualradar.com/acatalog/Av_RD_Kinetic_Avionics.html
http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?topic=600.0

The updated version software is coming out this month! ( I hope! )
RadarBox Software version 2.10

The AirNav ShipTrax (Box unit) should be release this year.

From AirNav Development.
Version 3 is based on the brand new AirNav FlightWatch software with MANY MANY more features.
FlightWatch will be released in Oct 2009 (programming goes on, especially on our flight data servers in Dallas and Boston).

V3 only after that (a few months later).
AirNav FlightWatch will be the only flight tracking application showing data from several different sources:
RadarBox, RadarBox Network, FAA Radar System, ACARS, Flight Plans, Manual Input.
It is being developed for our airline/airport customers but I'm sure we will work out how to have a non-professional version available.

Last edited:

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
I see what you mean!

Topic: AirNav Locking topics again....
http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?topic=618

Then you got the "Static" and "Filters" problems on AirNav RadarBox units
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2845.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2793.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2746.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2672.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2616.0
& more if you search around.....

The 'ICAO codes' or 'Untitled' names not being right. AirNav doesn't edit it. Before it gets sent to the users database.
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2480.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2673.0

Wonder what AirNav ShipTrax will bring out in it's database!

sigint1

Was: joking
The latest update for Suite 4 is dated 2002,
Acars decoder, 2004, and Selcal decoder, 2002.
One good thing about it…
The radar box 2009 software will run in demo mode giving you an
opportunity to make some nice looking maps for other programs like
Posfix and ACARSD. ;)

All I can say is that I have not had any trouble with it at all and they are getting ready to release a new version of the software any day now Third one since I have had the box - I have a friend who has an SBS 1 and he just sent it back for third repair - - all I can say is mine works beautiful - I was just trying to point out an alternative - if you google both boxes you can find horror stories as well as kudus about both - so you pays your money and you takes your choice !

mrkelso

Don't forget the new SBS-1er is being release soon.

Kinetic-Avionic SBS-1er "Fourth Generation" with built in Air Band & FM Receiver
Kinetic Avionics, ML&S Martin Lynch and Sons Ltd
The New Kinetic-Avionic SBS-1er

The updated version software is coming out this month! ( I hope! )
RadarBox Software version 2.10

The AirNav ShipTrax (Box unit) should be release this year.

From AirNav Development.
Version 3 is based on the brand new AirNav FlightWatch software with MANY MANY more features.
FlightWatch will be released in Oct 2009 (programming goes on, especially on our flight data servers in Dallas and Boston).

V3 only after that (a few months later).
AirNav FlightWatch will be the only flight tracking application showing data from several different sources:
RadarBox, RadarBox Network, FAA Radar System, ACARS, Flight Plans, Manual Input.
It is being developed for our airline/airport customers but I'm sure we will work out how to have a non-professional version available.

Thanks for the info, i will be looking into it shortly.

I have a friend who has an SBS 1 and he just sent it back for third repair - - all I can say is mine works beautiful - I was just trying to point out an alternative - if you google both boxes you can find horror stories as well as kudus about both - so you pays your money and you takes your choice !

True, neither one is perfect, but fun just the same. I have had the SBS-1 since early in its release. I have had no trouble with it and only have a couple things that I would change if I could.

lotuselan

If you're thinking about an SBS-1 or the AirNav RadarBox, check out Radarspotters - Index.

This is the only independent forum dedicated to this new hobby of radar spotting with technical support, download files and user feedback about both "boxes".

There's a Summer Competition launching this week with a chance to win a new SBS-1er, with built in FM/VHF radio as well as an ethernet port, one thing that RadaBox doesn't offer.

D

Dirkou

I work for AirNav Systems and...

For those who don't know it it is well known user "MtnBiker2005" spends his time saying bad things about RadarBox everywhere on the internet. He even created a blog to do that...is he working for RadarBox competitors? Don't know...

Anyway we can say the difference between RadaBos and SBS-1 is huge.
Check out the differences at AirNav Systems forum.
AirNav Systems Forum - Index

Recently a unit was sent to space which shows the quality the system achieved.
Contratu to SBS-1 which software does not get an update for the last 3 years RadarBox release for free to all the users V3.0 of their superb software. Check AirNav forum for more details.

D

Dirkou

lotuselan: everybody in this are knows that the link and forum you mentioned is totally run by SBS-1 users which keep their time saying bad things about RadarBox. One of them is even being criminally prosecuted by AirNav Systems for posting false information on the internet.

For a comparison between both products have a look at:
Why RadarBox / RadarBox vs Competition

Basically with RadarBox you can share your flight information with more than 250 users worldwide. SBS-1 needs a lot of (sometimes unreliable) addons and does not have a software upgrade for 3 years while RadarBox got a new software a week ago totally free for all users.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
For those who don't know it it is well known user "MtnBiker2005" spends his time saying bad things about RadarBox everywhere on the internet. He even created a blog to do that...is he working for RadarBox competitors?
People have a right to their opinion and based on what Google shows me there's no bad press "everywhere on the internet" from him regarding RadarBox.

Try and keep this civil please. No need to make up stories.

lotuselan

I can't believe that AirNav is so determined to rubbish Radarspotters - Index. Why?

Let visitors see for themselves.

Dirkou's posting a just a blatant sales pitch for AirNav.

If, as he suggests, there are nasty people out there trying to rubbish AirNav, why are they doing it?

D

Dirkou

It's not rubbish, it's real!

>If, as he suggests, there are nasty people out there trying to rubbish AirNav, why are they doing it?

Go to the RadarSpotter.eu forum and ask there. Maybe they can explain how it was born and which are its roots...

D

Dirkou

That's not correct MtnBiker2005.

We taking advantage of the most important thing on the internet: direct contact between users and the company development team and you will not see many companies doing this. Actually our RadarBox software, is known to include hundreds of suggestions coming from our users.

We are totally open for suggestions regarding our system and of course we will clarify any wrong information being passed about our products - what I've done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.