Let's build the PlanePlotter network in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ww7y

All SBS and RadarBox users in the US need to unite and share data using PlanePlotter. It is an excellent program and can take ADS-B input from SBS and RadarBox recievers (among others), HFDL from Charles Brain's PC-HFDL program and from its own ACARS reciever. All this data can be uploaded to a server. All users can use this data free of charge to create a sharing network. Planes can be displayed on a built in map or satellite image. There is a very active Yahoo Groups user group to help you get up and running. Don't be confused with the 12 Euro/year fee shown on the website....that is only if you want to use the Multilateration feature, all acutal ADS-B data is available for free. The network already has many users but there are large gaps in the US. The program can be downloaded for a free evaluation period from the PlanePlotter web site:

PlanePlotter from COAA

Registration is 25 Euros (about $34 today) and is required for the sharing feature to work.
If you live in an area of the US that needs coverage, PlaneFinder.net will pay for your PlanePlotter registration fee (they did mine!). You just need to supply your data to them using the PlanePlotter program for use on their web app. If interested contact Mark at support@pinkfroot.com

I am very disappointed with RadarBox and their network. Other than being very expensive (60 Euro to 120 Euro per year), the network feature on their software doesn't work for me. It locks up after about 10 minutes and must be reset. Repeated EMails to their customer support haven't even got a response. It is obvious that they don't value the US market.

If we all were using PlanePlotter and suppling data to the network, we could create a network with coast to coast coverage. Give it a try!

D

DaveNF2G

Hear! Hear!

I share from the Albany, NY, area most of the time. My sharer ID is tZ.

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My ID is 'mi' in California sharing ACARS for now. . Hope to get my microADSB in the mail soon to share ADS-B data

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
I agree with WW7Y. PlanePlotter (the tool) and PlaneFinder.net (the website) are rapidly growing, but could use some additional sharers to cover more of the US. We're lagging behind the rest of the free world in this area. Just browse around the globe at: planfinder.net

I love the apps that are available for the iPhone that take this same data and display the planes in real time. There are some free ones from PinkFroot.com (the parent company for PlaneFinder.net HERE (The link is for the paid app but there is a free one with fewer features also available too).

Being an Apple nerd I don't know how to acquire the existing version from the Android Market. Perhaps someone else can post that link.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
GREAT idea!

Sharer "gF" covering Long Island, New York encompassing KISP, KLGA and KJFK. I use a Kinetics SBS-1er, DPD ADS-B antenna, Basestation and PlanePlotter software. I also share with Plane Finder, the iPhone/iPad app. I also, occasionally, share ACARS and HFDL info. as well.

John

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Nice to see you down there covering the Calverton Arrival corridor to KJFK, John.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Dave. This is just another example of how diversified the monitoring hobby is. I NEVER get bored!!

jmhayes

I'm sharing from the San Francisco area and northwest Nevada. Keep up the great work! While I have you here, I'd like to ask that you also consider sharing at this site: Military Air planes with Mode-S ADS-B because it is a historical archive with a searchable database. Sure it's great to see the ADS-B tracks on the screen, but IMHO just as important is the ability to go back and check the history. If you have any questions about it, PM me. It's run by a great guy in the Netherlands, and has history going back several years.

D

DaveNF2G

I have established a full-time sharing station on a desktop computer. The ID is Ac. As soon as I have a better virtual radar box, I will get it going as a Ground Station with MLAT sharing.

My original tZ sharer ID will still pop up if I use the laptop while traveling.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I was playing with ACARs on a scanner a while back, and was thinking about getting back into it a bit, would the information from ACARs help in your efforts?

I see one other person in this post is providing ACARs info, but is the information I would get with a scanner the same, and what is actually needed more importantly, or is he getting more information because he has some other software/hardware?

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

NE1C4NSC4N said:
Hey guys, I was playing with ACARs on a scanner a while back, and was thinking about getting back into it a bit, would the information from ACARs help in your efforts?

I see one other person in this post is providing ACARs info, but is the information I would get with a scanner the same, and what is actually needed more importantly, or is he getting more information because he has some other software/hardware?

Some ACARS data includes positions so it would help. Most like ADS-B data better because it constantly updates.

Download planeplotter and fire it up. Something is better than nothing.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Some ACARS data includes positions so it would help. Most like ADS-B data better because it constantly updates.

Download planeplotter and fire it up. Something is better than nothing.

Ok, will do thanks, I think I may try out this PC-HFDL thing too, sounds interesting.

ww7y

From your location PC-HFDL would give you good coverage of the trans Atlantic routes. You should be able to receive New York, Iceland, Canary, and Shannon ground stations well. Lots of traffic on HFDL and interfaces easily to PlanePlotter. There is a relativly cheap ADS-B box available in England called the RadarGadget. Not available yet in the US, but might be in Canada. It uses PlanePlotter as its software component. PlanePlotter is a great program!

jetcos

Sending data from the Toronto Area, with Planeplotter and a few other hobbyists I have seen great coverage from Montreal, Kingston, New York and Detroit. Busy corridor for Inbound and evening outbounds.

Steve

D

DaveNF2G

I cover some of what I call "The Bunny Trail" with European traffic heading for Newark and Canadian flights to and from Mexico and the Caribbean, among others. Also the crossing routes to and from Boston.

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

kma371 said:
My ID is 'mi' in California sharing ACARS for now. . Hope to get my microADSB in the mail soon to share ADS-B data

Got my MicroADSB yesterday and feeding ADS-B with MLAT in the central California valley now. Don't have permanent antenna up yet but it's working.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I ordered a microADSB also. Miro shipped it on 2/23 and it has not arrived yet. I just sent him a query because the tracking site can't find the information about the package.

kma371

QRT

I had a similar issue. It took 6 weeks for me to get it. So be paitient.

Status
Not open for further replies.