RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Aircraft Monitoring Forum > Aircraft Data Decoding

Aircraft Data Decoding - A forum to discuss decoding the various data transmissions such as ACARS, Mode-S, ADS-B, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Thumbs up HamRadioScience.com - ADS-B Sharing Server on a Stick (or a Raspberry Pi)

[forward...]

ADS-B Sharing Server on a Stick (or a Raspberry Pi)

Introduction

Many ADS-B hobbyist like to share data with the public. Their are several sharing services out there that one can use to do this. However, one of the draw backs of sharing data to some hobbyist is having to tie up a large, power hungry, noisy, and expensive computer to do this. Why not use a small, low power, quiet, cheap computer to do this? Well you can, with either the $35 Raspberry Pi or the $70 MK802.

http://www.hamradioscience.com/ads-b...stick-or-a-pi/
http://www.hamradioscience.com/
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 2:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've been testing a R820T based RTL SDR stick on a Raspberry Pi. It works well, I'm using Virtual Radar Server on a PC connecting to the Pi as the data source.
The R820T based stick was detected by the newer install routines. I'm using an "industrial" StarTech 4 port USB hub from Amazon to power the tuner, a USB WiFi adapter AND the Pi itself. The hub takes 7 to 24v DC input, so I can remote the whole setup and just run 1 pair for DC power.
I'm seeing planes (at higher altitudes) up to 100 miles away using just the included antenna with the tuner (from Nooelec) inside the 2nd story of my house right now.

Tags
ads-b, mk802, raspberry, rtl3832u