Difference between AirNav 3d and Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
So am going to be springing for the AirNav Radar box, what I want to know is their any major differences between the 3d and pro, other then the fact of 3d imaging. I see the pro version is about 200 cheaper so just wanted some feedback. I have already gotten DPD production antenna for ADS-B.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
RB 3D has the Google Earth interface and 3D tracking display. Pro doesn't have it.

Just remember Radarbox won't show the Mode A/C aircraft or TIS-B (DF-18) aircraft on their software.

Others products like the SBS,Beast,Radarcape will show more.

Check out the Radarcape. You can get one around $737.00 receiver only or the kit for $1,002.00
Plus you won't have to leave the computer power on all the time. With RadarBox you need to keep the computer running full time.
http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape.html
http://wiki.modesbeast.com/Radarcape:Contents

Last edited:

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
RB 3D has the Google Earth interface and 3D tracking display. Pro doesn't have it.

Just remember Radarbox won't show the Mode A/C aircraft or TIS-B (DF-18) aircraft on their software.

Others products like the SBS,Beast,Radarcape will show more.

Check out the Radarcape. You can get one around $737.00 receiver only or the kit for $1,002.00
Plus you won't have to leave the computer power on all the time. With RadarBox you need to keep the computer running full time.
MODE-S BEAST - Your Airspace Observer - Radarcape
Radarcape:Contents - Beast Wiki

Ok cool Thanks for the feedback. Ya already have a computer dedicated to running fulltime. Not really worried too much about the TIS-B. Have a scanner dedicated to air only just be cool to see the aircraft that I am hearing over the airwaves, plus I live fairly close to a AFB (selfridge). I have heard thou that the radarboxes do not show Military aircraft is that correct?

freqhopping

After using a Radarbox for about 5 years which included two major failures, I am now perfectly content with what a $20 dongle and some freeware will do.

The first failure was fixed under warranty. After the last Radarbox failure, I sent them an email asking for a quote to repair it. In response they only said they'd take care of it. Later I got a bill from their repair place Waters & Stanton for the equivalent of about $130. I wouldn't have even bothered to spend the money to send it had I known that. Never got anymore responses from Airnav. About six months after getting the bill, I got another message from W&S about the bill. So then I sent another email forwarding prior emails and posts I made on the Radarbox forum. Haven't heard a thing from either of them. Great customer service, huh?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
After using a Radarbox for about 5 years which included two major failures, I am now perfectly content with what a $20 dongle and some freeware will do.

The first failure was fixed under warranty. After the last Radarbox failure, I sent them an email asking for a quote to repair it. In response they only said they'd take care of it. Later I got a bill from their repair place Waters & Stanton for the equivalent of about $130. I wouldn't have even bothered to spend the money to send it had I known that. Never got anymore responses from Airnav. About six months after getting the bill, I got another message from W&S about the bill. So then I sent another email forwarding prior emails and posts I made on the Radarbox forum. Haven't heard a thing from either of them. Great customer service, huh?

Oh wow, hope I don't go through that lol. I do have the dongle as well too and use planeplotter, and virtual radar, using the DPD outside antenna, I mean its ok, but would like something that is more sensitive.

D

DaveNF2G

Customer opinions on the Airnav products seem to be pretty poor. They have been accused of censoring negative comments from their message boards, too.

If you like to track military aircraft, then the RadarBox is not for you. It is incapable of feeding the data necessary for multilateration (MLAT) to the Planeplotter network. Almost everything else on the market can do that.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Radarbox and dongle sensitivity are about the same. I've run both side by side and neither one outperforms the other.

If you want less drama, stay away from Radarbox. Took them years to release an update, they force you to share data with them unless you turn the sharing feature off *every* time you run the program and they make you pay in order to see other peoples data (that they have shared for free).

PlanePlotter has a much better pay model. Share your data and receive others data for free.

As Dave pointed out, it also does MLAT.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Radarbox and dongle sensitivity are about the same. I've run both side by side and neither one outperforms the other.

If you want less drama, stay away from Radarbox. Took them years to release an update, they force you to share data with them unless you turn the sharing feature off *every* time you run the program and they make you pay in order to see other peoples data (that they have shared for free).

PlanePlotter has a much better pay model. Share your data and receive others data for free.

As Dave pointed out, it also does MLAT.

Ok thanks Mike, wow I can't believe all the negativity, after reading this now, I am definatley second guessing this. What about the other boxes avaiable, like this box called "the Beast" , basically all I want to do is see all aircraft in my area, then listen to on my scanner, be nice to see military aircraft, but its not a high point, just a bonus. If the sensitve portion is the same as dongle, then ya I can see not spending the 700 bucks for the radarbox, and also after reading the threads from MtnBiker , maybe I can put the money elsewhere. So in everyones opinion here is just best to stay with my current setup, which is the dongle and this antenna DPD Productions - VHF Air/Aviation Band, FBO Base, ACARS & ADS-B (SBS / RadarBox) Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

Or is their a better upgrade?
Thanks guys alot for this information, like I say after reading these threads,I am going to stay away from a major headache.

bbrasmussen

I've had both the RadarBox and now a Kinetic Avionics SBS-3. The SBS-3 is a great receiver. It was around $700 and in addition to the Mode-S/ADS-B reception, it has two separate broadband SDR receivers. Each can be divided into three frequencies within (I think) 6 MHz. You can use those for monitoring voice comms, or even better use them to feed the internal ACARS decoder to get even more aircraft positions to plot on Planeplotter.

I'd stay away from RadarBox. As has been mentioned, their business model is to charge you for the device, charge you to see others' data, and force you to share your data for free. Not a good deal.

Go with the SBS-3. You'll enjoy it.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I've had both the RadarBox and now a Kinetic Avionics SBS-3. The SBS-3 is a great receiver. It was around $700 and in addition to the Mode-S/ADS-B reception, it has two separate broadband SDR receivers. Each can be divided into three frequencies within (I think) 6 MHz. You can use those for monitoring voice comms, or even better use them to feed the internal ACARS decoder to get even more aircraft positions to plot on Planeplotter.

I'd stay away from RadarBox. As has been mentioned, their business model is to charge you for the device, charge you to see others' data, and force you to share your data for free. Not a good deal.

Go with the SBS-3. You'll enjoy it.

Thanks!! Yes I have been looking at the Kinetic products, is their much of a difference between the SBS-2 and the SBS-3. As for the comms not really worried about that, as I have a dedicated scanner for that. I've only seen one place in the US that carries these and that is from here
ACS Avionics
Is their any other place in the US or Canada? Be nice if their was a place here in Canada that sells them, that way I don't get dinged for duty taxes and international shipping. Or if anyone else knows of a place in Canada that sells them be great to know :)

bbrasmussen

It looks like the main difference between the -2 and the SBS-3 is the hardware ACARS decoder is only available in the -3. It's a great feature to have up to 6 ACARS channels simultaneously decoded internally with the SDR tuners and the decoder, even if you don't use it for voice comms.

Interesting Kinetic doesn't list a Canadian dealer. I'd give them a call or email and ask about your purchase options. As for ACS Wireless, I can vouch for them. I purchased my SBS-3 from them and the price was reasonable compared to other overseas dealers when factoring in taxes and exchange fees. The shipping was quick as well.

Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase. You'll enjoy having the receiver. It adds a lot to the aviation monitoring hobby.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the main difference between the -2 and the SBS-3 is the hardware ACARS decoder is only available in the -3. It's a great feature to have up to 6 ACARS channels simultaneously decoded internally with the SDR tuners and the decoder, even if you don't use it for voice comms.

Interesting Kinetic doesn't list a Canadian dealer. I'd give them a call or email and ask about your purchase options. As for ACS Wireless, I can vouch for them. I purchased my SBS-3 from them and the price was reasonable compared to other overseas dealers when factoring in taxes and exchange fees. The shipping was quick as well.

Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase. You'll enjoy having the receiver. It adds a lot to the aviation monitoring hobby.

Thanks!! Yes I did send them a e-mail, just awaiting a response. If no dealer here in Canada, then I'll just get it from ACS, they do ship worldwide, which is great, just wondering how much I will get dinged for taxes and duty lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.