Aircraft Scanning by "Radar"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBreen

Hi y'all,

The April "Monitoring Times" has an article on a new "virtual radar" device that can act like radar for you to "track" aircraft from your QTH. Actually, it uses the aircraft's responder "squawk" and decodes the contained information, plotting it on your computer monitor (via included software). It looks very much like a real ATC radar plot. It is "pricey" at $800.00 but I am fascinated!!!

It is a "black box" that is plugged into your computer USB port and includes a mag mount antenna. The antenna is best placed high (e.g., on your roof) with a ground plane. They also offer a preamp that increases the range. It comes with the software. I recommend that air scan fans read the "Monitoring Times" article.

The company that makes the device (Kinetic Avionic Products) is in England so the software is sorta "Limey Oriented" but still it is neat. Upon visiting the web site for KAP, I find that they have an interesting discussion forum at:

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/

I have listened to Aircraft for 25 years and I am really "hooked". I don't know how I can live without this new "toy" but I keep reminding myself that for that price I can get a Drake R8 on eBay.

Regards, John.

MacombMonitor

I think there are numerous web sites that will do basically the same thing for FREE, and maybe even better with more information. They look cool on your computer screen too!

Here's one that comes to mind: http://flightaware.com/
Let's face it, an unidentified craft, up to no good (and I don't mean UFO), most likely will not be sending out responder signals, so the $800.00 system wouldn't detect it. Spend that money on a new scanner!

JohnBreen

Hi MacombMonitor,

Thanks for that web address. That is really interesting. I will go there often. I REALLY like the capability to "click" on the display and have it enlarge the view. Also on that page I can follow links to get me printable plans of the airport layout - really excellent!!! It will take me a while to explore that whole site.

If you remember any other sites like that please pot them for me - thanks again.

I really am not much interested in unidentified craft, up to no good, but I was really "WOWed" by the idea of being able to watch the vairous aircraft as I followed them on my scanners and HF receiver. I guess I have always been interested in having my own "radar" to do that.

Regards, John.

jojoburke

John,
Another option is www.airnavsystems.com . This is a fee based computer system at $65 per six months. At that price you could have it for 6 years to equal the $800 for your own equipment. Just another option.
However, be fore warned. There is a 5-10 minute delay. Airnav Systems states they are mandated by federal law requiring the delay. I have verified this delay of their system by aircraft ID’ed overhead visually, radio comm., and the eventual track of the aircraft by Airnav Systems. Like you, I find it intriguing to monitor by radio comm. and “see” via simulated near-real-time radar. Also find the built-in delay very annoying.

An example of how I found AirNavSystem’s to be useful was the day the Nike Gulfstream had a stuck landing gear http://www.kptv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4148426). The TV news crews were all at the airport trying to get the story. Every time they would see an aircraft approaching their comment would be; “could this be the aircraft coming in?” I knew better because I was tracking it on AirNav in the “box” around a VOR many miles from the airport; while working on the problem and burning up fuel. Had to chuckle at the news crew dramatics.
Joe

z96cobra

You can do close to the same stuff by monitoring ACARS transmissions. All you need is your current scanner, a cable to connect it to the line in on your computer (from the headphone jack on the scanner), and some software to decode the signals. Some of the free software is acarsd and wacars (those are the two I use). You have to make a map of your location and you won't get position reports from each transmission, but it is cool to track a plane as it flies overhead. Also, some of the messages sent from the pilots are pretty funny.

Roger

ErikB

Feed Provider
Yup, you would never guess who is flying over. The other day I logged an Air China flight enroute to Texas (im in Colorado). pretty cool.

bb49490

Will that program work on pro-95 scanner? What kind of interface do you need with the computer?

ErikB

Feed Provider
bb49490 said:
Will that program work on pro-95 scanner? What kind of interface do you need with the computer?
Yes, you just need a male/male mini plug cable and a computer with a sound card with an input. Plug the cable into your soundcard input, the other end into the headphone jack on your scanner, adjust volume, and viola!

jojoburke

Need some advice from those you have had success with acarsd.
I have the hardware set up correctly, and believe the software is installed correctly.
How do I know if it is working? Just have a screen and nothing changes. Do not see messages. I have tried different frequencies listed. Did I miss something in the setup?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of very easy things to check;

a. Are you hearing the digital squawks thru your computer speakers? If not, you need to check to see if the input you have selected has been muted, or you have selected the correct input to your soundcard. A good way to test this is to see if you can hear your local weather service freq;if you can, it passes.

b. As noted on the ACARS wiki, there's a brief sync tone that is sent before each transmission; no sync tone, no decode. Keep your squelch OFF; you should hear noise over your speakers. Most scanners can't open up fast enough to capture the tone.

c. I haven't downloaded the most recent versions, but as I recall, there are a couple of pieces to download; the program, and another module as well. Make sure you have a successful install of all the pieces.

d. If no one answers here (unlikely, but it could happen...) there's an active ACARSD yahoo group (also listed on the ACARS wiki) where you might be able to get some additional help

73s Mike

jojoburke

Thanks ka3jjz.
Going through your steps forced me to continue to look even deeper into the problem.
Turns out there is an “Audio-In 2” which was hidden from my initial view for adjusting input volume on my HP computer. Once I checked this option and increased the input, the signal strength increased and so came the signals. Just wanted to say thanks and let any else know that may run into the same issue.
Joe

SysFail

This sounds so cool!!
I have been reading the software website today, but what I do not understand is what frequency to tune my scanner to?
Can anyone help with a list of the freqs? I am in Indiana..

Thanks!

ErikB

Feed Provider
SysFail said:
This sounds so cool!!
I have been reading the software website today, but what I do not understand is what frequency to tune my scanner to?
Can anyone help with a list of the freqs? I am in Indiana..

Thanks!

129.125 Additional channel for USA & Canada
129.125 USA Secondary
130.025 Secondary channel for USA and Canada
130.025 USA Secondary
130.425 Additional channel for USA
130.45 Additional channel for USA & Canada
131.125 Additional channel for USA
131.125 Additional channel for USA
131.45 Japan
131.475 Air Canada company channel
131.525 European secondary
131.525 European Seconda
131.55 Primary Channel worldwide
131.725 Primary channel in Europe
131.725 European Primary
136.9 Additional European Channel
136.900 MHZ European secondary
130.025 MHZ Secondary channel for USA and Canada
131.450 MHZ Primary channel for Japan
131.475 MHZ Air Canada company channel
131.525 MHZ European secondary
131.725 MHZ Primary channel in Europe
131.850 MHZ New European frequency
136.700 MHZ Additional channel for USA
136.750 MHZ Additional channel for USA
136.750 MHZ New European frequency
136.800 MHZ Additional channel for USA
136.850 MHZ SITA North American Frequency
136.925 MHZ ARINC European Channel

I get the most traffic on 136.800

SysFail

Thanks ErikB!

Which software do you use??
I found about 10 different ones on the wiki...

jojoburke

Question. I have several scanners. Since "scanning" with squelch does not work, has anyone tried using more than one radio (for more than 1 ACARS freq.) with Y connector to the audio input? Logicaly seems like it would work, just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.