ADS-B PI setup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Ok here's what i'm trying to do... I'm gathering the kit for Stratux and looking forward to having my first PI. I was wondering if I will be able to use it at home to be a second receiver for VRS? I'm not sure how that might happen? I'm guessing a simple program or port number on my network? Has anyone done this? Step by step please???

737mech

Premium Subscriber
After a month of playing with the Rasberry Pi I have a few comments. The Stratux program works great you get 978 and 1090!! I also ordered a nice 3d Printed case for the whole toy except the battery pack. Looks like this pic. I have used it with the Foreflight app on the apple minipad. I have not figured out or found how to add it to VRS and quite honestly I'm losing interest in doing that. The EFB apps are more fun to play with and you get UAT/Weather displayed. I use a 50000 mah USB power pack and it lasts for hours. I could also just plug it into any USB wall wart, the draw is 1A. I suppose the solar packs might extend the time? This is a fun way to get ADS-B and Weather and flight charts etc'!! Here's the link to Stratux Stratux by cyoung and the link to Foreflight https://www.foreflight.com/ I'm using the free version but might consider the paid subscription if it deems necessary?

Last edited:

ka1njl

Sources?

Could you please tell us where you got the case and antennas? I like your build and I am starting to think I need one for myself.

Gary

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Stratux 3d box

I ordered another build, this time in ABS not PLA. The new one is stronger. I'm also testing other free versions of EFB type apps. WingX and AVPlan. The apps have subscription fees so I'm testing all the free stuff first :) Here's a couple of pictures of the new ABS plastic build.

Last edited:

K4APR

I took a slightly different approach. My Pi 3 is setup in my house to feed Flightaware:

piaware-build001.jpg

piaware-build002.jpg

piaware-build003.jpg

piaware-build004.jpg

piaware-build010.jpg

piaware-build012.jpg

I have a Stratux box I built with the dual receivers for another project and when I (occasionally) get to go flying.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Last Add on AHRS chip

The blue chip is the new Stratux AHRS and Fan control chip. Just got it today can't wait to fly it for a try out!! Just holding it it seems to work fast! Tilt left and right forward and back. Not sure about the fan control will have to monitor temps on a long flight?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.