ADS-B Vs 978MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I believe most people get started in the hobby the quick way. They buy the dongle, antenna, download the software and away you go. More or less, that’s how I got started. Soon after, I discovered traffic flying overhead my house, not showing up in my software program of choice. So after a little digging, I’ve found out about MLAT.

MLAT, if I understood correctly, required me to either share my data or have two receivers, in order to capture GA traffic not equipped with ADS-B out.

Now, there’s (new to me) 978 MHz traffic and weather. This data is sent from GA aircraft transponders and relayed via ground stations. Data contains info about the aircraft such as location, altitude and speed.

My point is, with hardware available to capture this info (and paint you a better picture of the skies around you) why wouldn’t there be more people, comments, threads, about this, as opposed to what we are seeing on the forums?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Virtual Radar Stuff

I'll take a poke at your question. One reason there's not much here because there is more at the forums for VRS and other popular adsb sites. Tons of info if you look up Foreflight, Wingxpro, STRATUX to name a few. I really like the stratux pi3 setup. It has both 1090 and 978 and sends data to my ipad FlightplanGo app. I hope this info helps?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Depending on where you are, 978 may not be worth it. I ran a dongle on 978 for a few house and got 0 hits

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I'll take a poke at your question. One reason there's not much here because there is more at the forums for VRS and other popular adsb sites. Tons of info if you look up Foreflight, Wingxpro, STRATUX to name a few. I really like the stratux pi3 setup. It has both 1090 and 978 and sends data to my ipad FlightplanGo app. I hope this info helps?

I’ll have to take a look over there. Besides that, is just that me thinks, for a bit more money, you could have a better picture of what’s around you.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
737mech, having a Stratux setup means you can only see this data via one of the aforementioned apps on an iPad, nothing else for Mac or Windows, correct?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Options

You could just sit and watch adsbexchange but there's no 978 on that. Stratux is linux based so there's that option?

kma371

QRT
You could just sit and watch adsbexchange but there's no 978 on that. Stratux is linux based so there's that option?

I think some feeds there can contribute 978 data, but there arent very many. 978 isn't as active as 1090.

kma371

QRT
To the OP, check out the flightaware forums. Tons of discussion over there on the topic.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I already have a Raspi, waiting on my FA Pro Stick. I also ordered the rest of the parts to build a Stratux.

Well, got around to finishing assembly of the Stratux and...978 was a flop.

Turns out the only towers in my area are at KMCO, just down the road from me but apparently too far. I did see a couple of hits from other aircraft, not enough to give me the data I was looking for.

The apps that are able to work on the Stratux are geared towards pilot users, not hobbyists like me.

I can see targets on ads-b displaying altitude and N/Flight numbers along with altitude but not anything else like what you would see on PP, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.