Scanning while flying commercialy across country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatuSChecKa

I have my share of rookie questions on this forum so I'll give it another shot.
Legality aside. Can I scan anything while flying across the country. Like can I scan aircrafts while up in the sky?
Can I scan anything while up in the sky?
Thanks.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I took a scanner on a trip about a decade ago. I thought a 30k foot antenna might pick up a few things. It did.
I believe I even took it once on a trip to Japan, but only received various air coms during the flight, which was to be expected.

I do not believe there to be an FCC rule, but more of an airline rule that allows it's use during flight, or not. I think I may have read that United didn't allow the use of radio scanners anymore, or maybe it was a GPS. One or the other, but again, that rule may have changed again.

Check with your preferred airline and see what their website says. It'll probably be on there somewhere. Also, your question has probably been asked on this forum. A search might find more answers.

ecps92

Check with the Airline, however most prohibit the use of a Receiver during flight.

I have my share of rookie questions on this forum so I'll give it another shot.
Legality aside. Can I scan anything while flying across the country. Like can I scan aircrafts while up in the sky?
Can I scan anything while up in the sky?
Thanks.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
The basic rule is if it has a radio receiver on it (AM/FM, VHF, GPS, etc) then it typically is prohibited from being used during flight. There are some exceptions (most notably GPS). Check the inflight magazine, they will often have a list of approved devices toward the back.

Sprinter06

Scanning the friendly skies

Most prohibit all electronics during takeoff, climb, preparing to land descent and landing. While in flight or cruising majority of devices are acceptable. What's the difference between an am/fm radio with ear buds vs an am/fm scanning receiver with ear buds... basically nothing. If you keep things under wraps and low key and follow the rules you won't even be noticed. Keep a bank programmed with weather channels and maybe fm broadcast radio programmed just to pass thru TSA and turn all other banks off before you go thru the line and if they want to turn on then it plays the weather or a local radio station. Im not giving a green light to be a rebel so proceed at your own risk. This is a free country ya know.

On a side note... It's fun to listen to skycaps lose luggage while you are waiting too.

StatuSChecKa

Haha thanks.
I traveled with my scanner last year with my carry on and no one wanted to see it. I did have it pre-programmed with airport frequencies (oops) but that was just because I had long layovers. Didnt even think about using it on the plane for some reason.
I few first class cause my AA Miles and was so excited to use my Acer W500 Windows 7 Tablet instead :D

I will activate a weather bank just incase next time I cross TSA cause that is a great tip.
BTW, it is a GRE-500.

kma371

QRT
United Airlines provides their comms on Channel 9 on the inflight programming.

But I assume your trying to figure out if you can hear anything else being up so high. I've tried it before and couldn't hear anything.

Even scanning the air band, I could only hear my pilot and not the ground controller. Maybe I was surrounded by too much metal of the airframe.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Approved Devices Inflight

As an employee of an airline I use the GPS all the time inflight (above 10,000 feet). You have to hold it by the window to work. A good piece of advise is always check the "List of Approved Electronics" before you turn anything on in flight. The list can be found usually on the drink menu in the seatback pocket. As electronics change so does the list so always check.

WQOJ972

I speak from experience

I speak from experience when I say that they will most certainly give you crap about possessing a radio and probably likewise for a scanner. As far as legality goes, its not illegal to have a radio or scanner on at any time during a flight including takeoff, landing, taxiing and the works. For transmissions (if you're licensed to do so) that falls under the same rules as cell phones.

If you are going to go flying I would strongly recommend bringing a radio or scanner because reception is amazing on VHF and low band frequencies. Because UHF and 800 frequencies are much tighter sinusoids you won't get much more on those from the air then you will from the ground but they're still fun to monitor from the air.

lastly you'll likely face the issue of to flight attendants razzing you about radios and scanners...my advise, if you don't want to waste your breath telling them that receiving a radio signal causes no interference to anything and isn't illegal then just keep it out of their view and maybe use some headphones so you're not informing the other commuters about the 5th alarm fire, shooting, stabbing or hazmat setup that's going on on the ground. wouldn't want people getting bad ideas.

Hope that helps!

StatuSChecKa

Oh yea, i don't want to be marked as suspicious. I'll have the antenna poking out a little. And i'll use a rubber antenna. I dont want to try and bring my telescoping through the x-ray scanners or onboard, and of course I'll be using earphones.
Can't wait to see what I pick up, if anything. I already have the PD for my final destination programmed in.

ecps92

As a Frequent Flyer, other than being asked to turn on the radio [portable] there has never been an issue. Its similar to the old days when asked to turn on the laptop to provide it actually works. The TSA doesn't care if it's a radio or scanner.

It's even more fun to listen to them [X Ray Scanners], while waiting for my flights.

As for use of a Radio or Any Electronic device - You are a Guest of the Airline and the use of Electronic Devices is regulated. And 99.999% of the time, you will be directed to shut-off and cease use of ANY electronic device that has an On/Off/Power button during TAXI, Take-off, Prep for Landing :cool:

I speak from experience when I say that they will most certainly give you crap about possessing a radio and probably likewise for a scanner. As far as legality goes, its not illegal to have a radio or scanner on at any time during a flight including takeoff, landing, taxiing and the works. For transmissions (if you're licensed to do so) that falls under the same rules as cell phones.

If you are going to go flying I would strongly recommend bringing a radio or scanner because reception is amazing on VHF and low band frequencies. Because UHF and 800 frequencies are much tighter sinusoids you won't get much more on those from the air then you will from the ground but they're still fun to monitor from the air.

lastly you'll likely face the issue of to flight attendants razzing you about radios and scanners...my advise, if you don't want to waste your breath telling them that receiving a radio signal causes no interference to anything and isn't illegal then just keep it out of their view and maybe use some headphones so you're not informing the other commuters about the 5th alarm fire, shooting, stabbing or hazmat setup that's going on on the ground. wouldn't want people getting bad ideas.

Hope that helps!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Oh that's right. I had to hold up any type of receiver next to the window, or I didn't get squat. I even used some suction cup BNC wire thing to hold the antenna on the window for a scanner. I wasn't really trying to hide anything, but that was way back in the day.

I always use a headset/headphones/ear piece.

immelmen

I speak from experience when I say that they will most certainly give you crap about possessing a radio and probably likewise for a scanner. As far as legality goes, its not illegal to have a radio or scanner on at any time during a flight including takeoff, landing, taxiing and the works. For transmissions (if you're licensed to do so) that falls under the same rules as cell phones.....

Sorry, but this and every other post that says that it is not illegal and only an airline policy issue is completely incorrect. It is not the airline but the FAA that mandates ALL electronic devices be off during taxi, takeoff landing and flight below 10,000 feet. Further, anything that emits or receives any signal cannot be on at any point during the flight (again, that's the FAA, not the airline.). The exception being aircraft that have wifi installed and are TSO'd for wifi operation.

lastly you'll likely face the issue of to flight attendants razzing you about radios and scanners...my advise, if you don't want to waste your breath telling them that receiving a radio signal causes no interference to anything and isn't illegal then just keep it out of their view....

My advice, do not argue at all with a flight attendant ever. If it gets to the point that she/he/it comes up front to bring the problem to me, I dont care what the issue is or who says what, the mouthy passenger is getting thrown off my jet in a heartbeat.... you will lose that battle.

Here is the deal, it is not illegal to BRING any radios, scanners, ect on the plane with you. It is illegal to turn them on while on-board the aircraft. There are reasons the law is that way. Is a scanner gonna cause the plane to crash? no. do I care if someone, unknown to me, monitors coms during the flight? not in the least. Do I care if the Cart Donkeys are complaining in my ear about some tool in the back who is breaking the law and wont comply with their instructions, yes I do. Moral is: Dont get caught. If you do get caught, plead ignorance and politely do as your told.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Every radio reciever has a local oscillator in it, which is a very, very low powered transmitter. However it can still potentially interfere with the aircrafts' avionics. Do you really want to do that?

NYRHKY94

I just returned from a trip to Florida on Tuesday, using Southwest Airlines. I had my PSR-500 with me in my carry on bag. I've always travelled with my scanner and never had any issues with TSA or getting through security. I DO NOT however turn the scanner on during any portion of the flight. As others have correctly posted, each airline will typically list approved and unapproved electronic devices in their in-flight magazine (towards the back). SWA's magazine has a comprehensive list of devices broken down by approved use and when it can be turned on during the flight. Scanners were clearly noted as NOT being approved for use during any part of the flight.

Regardless of who's rule it is, the in-flght magazine for each airline should provide an easy reference guide to anyone travelling with their scanner.

Last edited:

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I just flew Southwest, scanners are listed as a prohibited item to use during flight on the safety info card they cram in the back of the seats. I think satellite and FM radios was ok though. Go figure.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacnners on planes

Whenever I've traveled via air domestically, I have brought a scanner. BUT .... I remove the antenna from the scanner, remove the batteries from the scanner, pack each carefully and separately. I have not powered a scanner in flight as that would be a STUPID thing to do.

Not only are you talking about your own safety here, but also the safety of the flight and people on the ground in the event of a crash. Additionally, getting caught, it is a FEDERAL issue. Not worth it.

On select United Flights I have been able to listen to ATC via the headsets. Since the flight attendants don't pass out the headsets until after aloft, and collect them prior to landing; I've made sure to have my own with me.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
United Airlines provides their comms on Channel 9 on the inflight programming.

But I assume your trying to figure out if you can hear anything else being up so high. I've tried it before and couldn't hear anything.

Even scanning the air band, I could only hear my pilot and not the ground controller. Maybe I was surrounded by too much metal of the airframe.

I was on a United flight and a 'attendant' noticed I had a scanner. He was very adamant that I shut it off because they had comms on channel 9 like you mentioned. I had it in mind that these little 'gods' would love to cause a scene so they can make the world safer against al-qaeda. :roll:

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Well... never say every radio has a oscillator in it....

The passive air-band receiver is a type of “crystal” radio which contains no local oscillator which might interferes with the on-board aircraft’s sensitive electronics. The passive aircraft receiver broadly tunes from 118 MHz to 136 MHz, and was designed to listen in to in-flight communications between your pilot and the control tower.
http://www.scannermaster.com/Black_Box_MKII_Airband_Passive_Receiver_p/50-281704.htm
http://radio-circuits.blogspot.com/2011/02/passive-air-band-receiver.html

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Every radio receiver has a local oscillator in it, which is a very, very low powered transmitter. However it can still potentially interfere with the aircrafts' avionics. Do you really want to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.