SELCAL on ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this belongs in HF monitoring or this forum. I recall in past years maybe 10 or greater, I used to hear Delta aircraft on ground at JFK mainly doing SELCAL checks via NY radio on 6,640 and 8,933 probably others assigned to NY Radio also. I haven't heard these checks in years. Do they still perform them on the ground or did they realize all that RF energy wasn't good for ground personnel?

majoco

Stirrer
Almost all aircraft prior to departure on a blue water sector will request a selcal check usually done by the ground engineer as it will be on his checklist. I have never heard of anyone being harmed by an HF transmission from a wire or vertical stabiliser antenna (unless they are actually in contact with it!) - the power is often about 100W peak USB although many aircraft are much less and still get out well enough. HF doesn't have the same heating effect as microwaves where a body part can be a wavelength long - but of course there are restrictions on transmitting on HF in the hangar dude to the risk of causing a spark.

KE7JFF

A retired Continental Pilot told me they would do the SELCAL check usually while taxing to the runaway at airports.

With that said, I think Delta is doing more comms via sat datalink these days...

majoco

Stirrer
With that said, I think Delta is doing more comms via sat datalink these days...

Yes, but even with CPDLC, every aircraft that transits from one control area to another has to carry out a selcal check. Hear them all the time as they come down through the Nadi, Fiji sector into either Auckland or Brisbane control area.

selcalweb

I monitor the ARINC LDOC quite a lot. The bulk of the traffic is JetBlue aircraft calling for selcal check and these are usually the flights that will be going out over WATRS (West Atlantic Route System) on routes like JFK and BOS to San Juan.

Other regular traffic are the Gulfstream test flights out of SAV, Amerijet flights between Miami and central America (departure messages, fuel uplift, ETAs etc), a lot of bizjets on the ground at maintenance stations calling for HF radio and selcal checks.

American Airlines sometimes use them for a selcal check if they're heading to central or south America but they're not that common. Same for United and occasionally Delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.