Smiley Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I have never used the antenna you mentioned, I don't listen to air traffic. I have purchased several other ducky antennas from Smiley tuned to VHF High frequencies and UHF. They work very well. I did buy one of the Smiley telescoping antennas I wasn't very thrilled with though. Thin Stick Dual Band

IMHO, the tuned ducks work better.

BillH1

I bought a Super Stick tuned for 155 MHZ, and it did very well. It usually got the same signal strength fully collapsed as my RH77CA, but fully extended it was fantastic. It blew every antenna I have out of the water, bringing in distant stuff I was unable to receive before just setting on my desk. I'm sure the Air band Super Stick will be very good. The only bad thing about the super stick is it can be unwieldy to carry around on a portable, and makes the scanner slightly top heavy and easy to bump over, even fully collapsed.

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Used many Smiley antennas...for work n play! Although not the one you linked! I did have them special order build one for air band and it was superb!

Forly192

Thanks for all the input!

Mass-man, when you write that you special ordered one for airband, why did you do that when they have two options?

Did you pick a frequency that was more in the middle of the band (118-137), like 127MHz?

W2PDX

I have purchased several other ducky antennas from Smiley tuned to VHF High frequencies and UHF. They work very well.

Same here. I bought their shorter VHF antenna a few years ago and it worked very well for local monitoring on a Yaesu VX-series portable. I'm always skeptical of telescoping antennas in general for durability.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Despite some dubious marketing verbiage, the Slim Duck 5/8 wave tuned for the rail band works really well.

SCPD

QRT
The guy 2 streets over has one for his Baofeng and I cant hear him on simplex and its brand new.PS I have a base antenna.....
Why would you want to keep adjusting an antenna when you could just get a decent Diamond antenna like a Rh77ca?
My TRX 1 works great on it and I never have to adjust anything.I get teterboro,newark,caldwell,laguardia,and a few other airports.
My favorite is when the pilots talk to each other and ragchew!

mm

Everything works like a POS on a Boecrap radio.

It's not the Smiley antenna, it's the Boecrap radio.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I second sibbley. I bought one specifically for railroad monitoring, and it kicks butt.

Ditto. I have one for the railroad band and another for the ham band; superior performance with both.

The interchangeable connectors are especially nice; I have SMA, reverse SMA (for Motorola) and BNC connectors, and can change in a few seconds. Each base connector costs only a few bucks.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
So, I decided to buy into this brand. Mostly because the stock antennas on the KNG radios are obnoxiously stiff. Got one of the tiny ones, and one of the 5/8 ones.

Both are a HUGE increase over stock, and im getting great results with the small antenna even indoors, out of the bandwidth of the antenna.

Interchangeable bases also helps greatly, because i can swap between the KNG radio and the XTS's

Eugene

I just purchased a the Aircraft band stubby duck (4 1/2 ") and it actually performs better that a tuned antenna I bought for an aircraft HT and performs as well as a Watson Super Gainer I was using. Am very pleased.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.