Chit Chat 127.000 Alaska Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

R7000

I keep a bank that has all VHF freqs in it except for freqs know to be used for ARTCCs, nearby airports and companies. Only "holes."

What I hear mostly is airliners trying to contact center on the wrong frequency. They eventually find the right freq.

Yesterday I heard chit chat on 127.000 Mhz. What I could ascertain from the talk and flight tracking screen, I believe it is used by Alaska Air. This was over Louisiana. One guy did say "do you hear anything else on this freq?"

Tom

moonbounce

I keep a bank that has all VHF freqs in it except for freqs know to be used for ARTCCs, nearby airports and companies. Only "holes."

What I hear mostly is airliners trying to contact center on the wrong frequency. They eventually find the right freq.

Yesterday I heard chit chat on 127.000 Mhz. What I could ascertain from the talk and flight tracking screen, I believe it is used by Alaska Air. This was over Louisiana. One guy did say "do you hear anything else on this freq?"

Tom

Thanks for that R7000, I have added 127 Mhz to my scanner, I will let you know if I hear anything. Do you have any other frequencies like that?

MB

ATCTech

127.0 is a low-level en route ATC frequency for both Toronto ZYZ and Chicago ZAU so I hope you don't hear nonsense comms in London!

Cheers!

R7000

There are some crop dusters in my area who use 127.575 and some fish spotters who use 118.675. I've never heard any other traffic on these. Those pirates selected well.

Tom
S. La.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
This time of year the Canada snowbird flights Toronto/Montreal are busy thru here to points South.
Today a couple Sunwing pilots on 123.45 speaking French chatting A/A.
The other day heard a Sunwing pilot on 121.500 asking for any other Sunwing flights
on freq. They like to chat between runs North and South.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
121.5 Is The Guard Freq Used For Emergencies

This time of year the Canada snowbird flights Toronto/Montreal are busy thru here to points South.
Today a couple Sunwing pilots on 123.45 speaking French chatting A/A.
The other day heard a Sunwing pilot on 121.500 asking for any other Sunwing flights
on freq. They like to chat between runs North and South.

121.5 is the aircraft emergency frequency reserved for in-flight emergency traffic. That frequency is also known as a "guard" channel.....when I was taking flying lessons, my instructor told me that if I ever saw a military aircraft alongside, I should enter 121.5 into my COMM, acknowledge by rocking a wing and "do whatever they tell you to do".

Years back, the freq was also used for ELT beacons too.

K2RNI

121.5 is the aircraft emergency frequency reserved for in-flight emergency traffic. That frequency is also known as a "guard" channel.....when I was taking flying lessons, my instructor told me that if I ever saw a military aircraft alongside, I should enter 121.5 into my COMM, acknowledge by rocking a wing and "do whatever they tell you to do".

Years back, the freq was also used for ELT beacons too.

It still is used for for emergency beacons. Just usually for homing in since lot's of DF equipment is tuned for that frequency and also for alerting any other aircrafts in the vicinity since a lot monitor guard all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.