Airband antenna (VHF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILSAPP

Hi all,

Last weekend I built two different airband antennas (tuned to 127MHz): a 3-element yagi and a 1/4 ground plane antennas and tested them separately.

They worked very well at low heights above roof (to a maximum of around 1.5m) but as I increased the height to 5m above the roof my scanner picked up some noise and some local FM stations (at least sounded like that, I can almost understand what was being said). The same phenomena occurred for both antennas with no noticeable difference between them in that aspect. I used (for both) the same coax cable: RG213.
I used a 6m PVC pipe (filled with wood for increased rigidity) and the antennas were attached via zip ties to that PVC mast.

Even so I still heard some distant comms but the thing is that the noise floor increased from no bar to around 3/4 of the maximum signal meter displays bars.
I also noticed that below 50MHz and above 250MHz the signal meter display indicated no bars, so no noise there.

Any idea of why this behavior and how to solve this noise/interference issue?

Thank you

cmdrwill

" I also noticed that below 50MHz and above 250MHz the signal meter display indicated no bars, so no noise there. "

This tells me that your antenna IS working in the VHF band where you wanted.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This has nothing to do with ham antennas...

Anyway, the reason you're getting more garbage from FM broadcast is fairly obvious. You've obviously got a number of FM stations that are slamming your front end pretty heavily with the better antenna. Mixing products can cause all sorts of strange stuff, and this is but one possibility. PAR's filters are a tad expensive but you get what you pay for. I'd say go for it. Mike

ILSAPP

Many thanks for all of you that replied.
KA3JJZ sorry, I'll close the thread to follow the rules, no bad intentions from myself.

Ubbe

ILSAPP

Many thanks for the links Ubbe and iMonitor.
Shame that the airband BPF doesn't show any data regarding the attn/loss at various frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.