Erie and Buffalo ATC Combining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Just got a notice that KERI and KBUF App/Dep controls may be combining soon. Buffalo would handle all of Erie's traffic except for the Tower. Has anyone heard any more about this? I wonder where the transmitters would be located?

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Most likely they would keep the same transmitter And radar sites. I know when Cape Approach on Cape Cod merged with the Boston TRACON they kept the same frequencies and transmitter sites.

Was looking at the new FAA approach plates for ERI that come out November 8th and all the approaches have been changed to reflect Buffalo Approach control but are keeping the same frequencies.

A little research I found regarding the merger between Erie and Buffalo. ERI Tower / TRACON was constructed in 1957 and is owned by the local airport authority but leased to the FAA. In 1987 the facility was converted from a TRACAB to a TOWER / TRACON configuration. In 2004 the facility underwent a complete refurbishment.
BUF Tower / TRACON was constructed in 1994. The FAA owns the facility and has sufficient space to accommodate ERI. BUF operates 24 hours a day wheras ERI is only open between 0600 and 0000. BUF is also NextGen capable facility built to current standards so make sense to move ERI. One of the other benefits of the merger is that since BUF and ERI share contiguous airspace so with airspace redesign operational benefits such as reductions in boundary coordination will improve efficiency.

Last edited:

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I do see reference to Buffalo on the Airnav page for KERI. But the approach plates show a date from 11 OCT 2018 to 08 NOV 2018. Do you have a link to the new 11-8 plates?

I became aware of this change from an email I got from an ATC controller from KBUF announcing a meeting:
"On October 29 at 1800 I would like to have a meet and greet session with all concerned business, pilots, and anyone who may have an interest in the combination of Air Traffic Services from ERI to BUF. Please forward this email to all who may be interested.

Aside from the meet up and putting faces with names and voices on the radio, I would like to do a short presentation about the history of this facility combination, the planning and our preparation to take over the airspace, what the users can expect during the transition, as well as changes and improvements that can be realized from the combination of services. At this time we can cover points of contact moving forward."

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I do see reference to Buffalo on the Airnav page for KERI. But the approach plates show a date from 11 OCT 2018 to 08 NOV 2018. Do you have a link to the new 11-8 plates?

I became aware of this change from an email I got from an ATC controller from KBUF announcing a meeting:
"On October 29 at 1800 I would like to have a meet and greet session with all concerned business, pilots, and anyone who may have an interest in the combination of Air Traffic Services from ERI to BUF. Please forward this email to all who may be interested.

Aside from the meet up and putting faces with names and voices on the radio, I would like to do a short presentation about the history of this facility combination, the planning and our preparation to take over the airspace, what the users can expect during the transition, as well as changes and improvements that can be realized from the combination of services. At this time we can cover points of contact moving forward."

I went to this meeting. The change to KBUF Approach will occur on 11/4 at 6:00 AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.