Flagship callsign

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

I'm in SC, near SHAW. Have heard this call several times this week." FLAGSHIP "?
Wondering if anyone is familiar.
Also, I have heard Darkstar many times over the years. I know this is an AWACS, and when heard is working with some SHAW FGs.
Is Darkstar a discrete call, or used by AWACS in general. I googled and found several references, in particular MacDill.
One more? Have been hearing "Push Victor One" I have most discretes etc. monitored over the years. Usually have a scanner searching the band while scanning. I can't catch the freq. (Victor One) any ideas? Encrypted? FM?

Jim

Last edited:

morfis

James said:
I'm in SC, near SHAW. Have heard this call several times this week." FLAGSHIP "?

Not a callword I have heard, sorry.

James said:
Also, I have heard Darkstar many times over the years. I know this is an AWACS, and when heard is working with some SHAW FGs.
Is Darkstar a discrete call, or used by AWACS in general. I googled and found several references, in particular MacDill.

DARKSTAR is a general E-3 mission callword

James said:
One more? Have been hearing "Push Victor One" I have most discretes etc. monitored over the years. Usually have a scanner searching the band while scanning. I can't catch the freq. (Victor One) any ideas? Encrypted? FM?
Jim
At a guess a frequency manually programmed into their "VHF" radio or a VHF preset. In ther first case it would vary with the mission but in the second it would probably be part of their normal preset list and as such would depend on the squadron/base. Preset lists do change with time due to relocation, ATC changes etc.

James

illini52 said:
Victor one is the first preset VHF frequency in the ACs radio.

Thanks, It was just strange to hear after years of listening. I'm used to hearing just "Push 1" or 2, or 13.etc.

wa8vzq

Darkstar, Bandsaw and Dragnet are all frequently heard AWACS callwords. You will usually hear something like "Bandsaw Lima or Darkstar Echo etc". These are rear end or battle staff callwords used by the controller in the operations part of the mission. Each different callword group id's aircraft from a different squadron based at Tinker AFB, OK. The first part (Darkstar) id's the squadron and the second part (Echo) id's the aircraft. You will also hear callwords like Sentry 12, Gordo 33 etc. These are the front end callwords used by the pilots when talking to air traffic control.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
James said:

Jim
I heard that "Flagship" callsign just last night on vhf guard 121.5000.
I'm in Jacksonville, FL

couldn't give you any details though, sorry

rbts

Pinnacle Airlines dba Northwest Airlink as James said. They fly 50 seat Canadair Regional Jets and based in Memphis.

TinEar

As mentioned above, Victor-1 is the preset frequency in position one in their VHF radio and Uniform-1 is the same for their UHF radio. In most cases, that position is reserved for the VHF/UHF squadron ops frequency. It isn't mandated but has become customary to do it that way - the same way preset position 4 is the Tower freq at their home base and other preset positions in their radios represent specific functions. Often, the pilot will not be that specific in his comms and will simply say something like, "Push 4" or "Button 4" rather than Victor/Uniform 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.