Antennas at MIS Theodore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

I remember several years back at Mobile International Speedway, there was a lumber company and 2 or 3 large towers that had MASSIVE log periodic antennas and a few very very long wire/dipole antennas. Also, on trips to dauphin Island from Theodore, (can't remember the hwy number) there was a large field on the south side of the hwy that had a similar setup. Anyone have any idea what those were?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TomServo

I can't speak about the Speeway, but if you were referring to AL-188, about halfway between Coden and Alabama Port is the site of WLO, which operates ship-to-shore and shore-to-ship comms for ships in the Gulf and Atlantic. Their channel markers are audible all up and down the SW band depending on where you live. Here we're a bit too close but some come through at just the right time. They also have some weather/pirate info stuff transmitted via SITOR-B on the HF band.

KK4ELO

Yeah I think it's on 188. The back way to dauphin Island parkway from grand bay/Irvington. I think it's on the right as your heading towards DI parkway. That's interesting, thanks. I wonder if the one beside the Speedway is another part of it or something. I always thought it was odd that it be there. It was pretty much shearing a parking lot with the lumber company. I want to say Georgia pacific?? Can't remember as it's been several years since I have been in the area.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
log periodic antenna

Copy 30 30 28.83 n 88 13 32.70 w into google maps search box.

Mil

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
antenna farm #2

copy 30 22 35.40 n 88 12 24.29 w into either Google Maps or Earth.

Mil

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Yet another antenna farm!

Copy 30 35 41.18 n 88 13 17.36 w into Google Maps or Earth for the 3rd antenna farm.

Mil

KK4ELO

Those are exactly the ones I was talking g about. I never knew about the third one though. Nice catch!

TomServo

Copy 30 30 28.83 n 88 13 32.70 w into google maps search box.

Mil

What's there that needs that beast? It's even (sort of) visible on Google Street View on the service road nearby.

Copy 30 35 41.18 n 88 13 17.36 w into Google Maps or Earth for the 3rd antenna farm.

Mil

Wow, didn't know WLO had a second facility further inland. Thanks for sharing that!

KK4ELO

Pulling it up on street view and following the streets around, it goes to an Army Corps of Engineers building. Like I said, they also have several very long dipole/wire antennas stretched around too. Now we know what it is.

TomServo

Pulling it up on street view and following the streets around, it goes to an Army Corps of Engineers building. Like I said, they also have several very long dipole/wire antennas stretched around too. Now we know what it is.

Huh. Went I did the street view earlier it wouldn't let me go around the block, said there was no data there. :confused:

KK4ELO

It did for me. I went like 8 was going into the lumber yard and it followed around a couple turns and eventually stopped at the Army Corps sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.