DMR in Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I am not in Alabama, I'm next door in Georgia and I listen to Alabama very little but......

I don't believe any of the major cities use DMR. On the other hand, many use the Alabama First Responder Network which operates state-wide. It can incorporate audio inversion that will "scramble' the transmissions for most people.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
AFRN uses encryption not inversion.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Okay, I can't argue. I almost never listen to them but when I do hear them on my 436, it's garbled. It sounded like inversion to me.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Are there many sites in Alabama, that use DMR?

Thnaks

I am in north Alabama in Morgan County and have found plenty of DMR used in industry and other businesses. Have not seen any in public safety use.

This is a great site to search for entities using digital transmission modes:
https://digitalfrequencysearch.com/index.php

You might find some there by searching by the county you are interested in!

Happy Scanning!

RadShackFan

I live in the Montgomery area. There are 2 electric co-ops, 2 trucking companies and 1 taxi service that takes older folks to various appointments and such. No others that I have found.

TomServo

I'm in Baldwin County. The only DMR I've found so far (although I haven't looked super super hard) is out of Pensacola, the public transportation system there uses it if I remember correctly.

emcom

I found that New Hope, AL public safety also uses DMR.

Negative. They use the P25 system and sometimes a narrow banded VHF repeater. No DMR.
Edit: I see where you may have got that. They have the designator on their license for DMR but only have older motorola car radios which were pre-DMR. They did have DMR capable handhelds which they got when they bought the repeater in 2008 or so, but stopped carrying those in 2012 when we all went to 700 P25. The officer only carries a 700 radio and a cell phone now. No vhf except a car radio.

Last edited:

emcom

In the Huntsville-Madison County area, the county road crews, animal control, handi ride buses, county school buses and a few others operate on DMR systems.

morganAL

Joe Wheeler Electric uses DMR in Morgan and Lawrence counties. Sharp Communications also operates a DMR system that they sell air-time on for businesses.

b5bartender

It's in use around St. Clair County. Moody uses it for police dispatch, Pell City for both police and fire dispatch. County Fire is mostly DMR now, with outgoing dispatch on FM simulcast. Not sure if they're clear or encrypted.

wbswetnam

DMR for public service varies state-by-state. Here in Arkansas it is very common. Over half of the counties around me have gone DMR digital for sheriff, local police, fire and EMS.

mel1718

I live in the Montgomery area. There are 2 electric co-ops, 2 trucking companies and 1 taxi service that takes older folks to various appointments and such. No others that I have found.

Try these in Montgomery area

155.49000 (Goodwater PD)
154.16750 (Not sure, I think it is new Butler County SO)

AE106

Hale County, south of Tuscaloosa, has been on DMR for quite some time, county wide public safety. Also, Demopolis city (and maybe some of Marengo Cty) has switched over, or had at one time.

It's in use around St. Clair County. Moody uses it for police dispatch, Pell City for both police and fire dispatch. County Fire is mostly DMR now, with outgoing dispatch on FM simulcast. Not sure if they're clear or encrypted.

They are all encrypted with the exception of Moody FD which is also DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.