Any programmers of handhelds in Anchorage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy907

I have a two channel Motorola Handled HT1000 radio that I would like to be programmed to scan local agencies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Anchorage scanning

All Anchorage public safety traffic is in the 700Mhz range using a trunked P25 system. The police are encrypted full time, but fire is not. I don't believe that the HT1000 will be of any use to monitor these systems even if they were not encrypted. Anchorage is now part of ALMR, but really is a separate system even though other agencies can be patched into the system. Some systems outside Anchorage are 150Mhz systems and not part of ALMR. Mat-Su fire, for example. The RR database has all the info.

ThatGuy907

SO the only way to scan APD is via there online scanner or the app on my phone? That's lame and counter productive to my reason to the dang radio.....

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Yes, this is not good. They have sacrificed the value of an informed citizenry to their paranoia about criminals listening to their radio traffic. By the way, the Alaska State Troopers have been encrypted for a long time. I believe that the on line scanner is not in real time either.

ThatGuy907

I used to be a Police Officer, we used the HT1000's along side the car radio's. Only had one occasion where we spend the night chasing burglars around and only because they had a radio or scanner, but true to human form they developed a pattern and we caught them. Oh it was nice to add that extra felony charge of using scanners or radios in the commission of a crime.

blue5011

Yes, this is not good. They have sacrificed the value of an informed citizenry to their paranoia about criminals listening to their radio traffic. By the way, the Alaska State Troopers have been encrypted for a long time. I believe that the on line scanner is not in real time either.

Used to be the average US household had the VCR flashing "12:00" because folks could figure out how to program the time... Now I am supposed to believe the local criminal element has figured out how to program a digital scanner? The affected state agencies simply do not want us to hear what they are doing, "it is for our own good".

Status
Not open for further replies.