White Pass & Yukon Route.

WNLQ977

WQDL655

WQXY377

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Headed that way in some months.

I rode the train from Skagway into the Yukon a couple of years ago. I didn't bring a radio to listen, but if I did, I don't know that I would have turned it on. The scenery was breathtaking, and I couldn't put the camera down.

Enjoy the trip!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I rode the train from Skagway into the Yukon a couple of years ago. I didn't bring a radio to listen, but if I did, I don't know that I would have turned it on. The scenery was breathtaking, and I couldn't put the camera down.

Enjoy the trip!

I agree. While I've never ridden the train, I have been up and down the highway several times. The highway runs up the opposite side of the canyon most of the way. If you must take a radio, have it all set up ahead of time with an earphone. You won't want to be diddling around with your radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It's an amazing area. I lived in Whitehorse for a couple of years. 2001-2003. The scenery is stunning.

Forgot listening to law enforcement, they are encrypted in the Yukon. If you are a ham operator, the listing on repeaterbook is pretty accurate, the Yukon Amatuer Radio Association has a wide area linked repeater system. Well maintained. If you are DStar capable, there is a 144/440/1200MHz DStar stack in Whitehorse. Google the club name, they have a decent map of repeater locations and approximate coverage. 99% of all LMR is VHF, UHF is pretty much only used for linking. The government radio network is analogue/P25 conventional. Although I have not been there is almost 15 years, I doubt there is any trunking yet. Limited cell coverage outside the towns and Whitehorse. Check and see if your cellular company has a roaming agreement with Northwest Tel/Bell Mobility. Very little coverage on the highways.

The radio reference database is pretty much useless for Yukon, best to use the search function on your scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's an amazing area. I lived in Whitehorse for a couple of years. 2001-2003. The scenery is stunning.

I was in and out of Whitehorse a few times in the 1990's, 1980's time frame. I'm sure it's changed a bit since then.

Never did take the train, but my brother has. I've heard it's pretty spectacular. The highway is pretty interesting. Stopping along the highway next to the many waterfalls was pretty nice on a warmish day. The area around the border crossing is pretty amazing. Did a little bit of walking around out there one one of the trips.

Makes me miss it. Not sure I'll ever get up that way again, but I'd sure like to.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The area around the border crossing is pretty amazing. Did a little bit of walking around out there one one of the trips.

Makes me miss it. Not sure I'll ever get up that way again, but I'd sure like to.

There is a greaser station called Fraser Camp right at Canada Customs. From there going towards Carcross is one of the most unique areas I have ever seen.

Whitehorse has changed a lot. I miss it some days. Some of the best people I have ever met were born and/or raised there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is a greaser station called Fraser Camp right at Canada Customs.

Ah yes, that area is beautiful.

I remember going through that customs station while folded up in the back of an old Chevy Chevette. It was the only car avaialble at the time and 5 of us were packed in it. For some reason I got the short straw and had to ride as cargo.

Status
Not open for further replies.