Alaska state troopers radio encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrat1234

how come the Alaska state troopers are 100% encrypted on all channels and aswell as most city pd's

SCPD

QRT
You will notice areas spread thin low man power to wide spread areas tend to have encrypted systems for obvious reasons.

iamhere300

Because they can see Russia from their house! ;)

They can't? Say from the roof of their house?

(for those following, it is only 2.4 miles from Alaska to Russia at it's closest point, and those residents can walk out their front door and can't miss seeing Russia)

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I know ALMR works (or was working 2 years ago) on Saint Paul, never been to SLI.

And I saw Russia 2 Fridays ago flying into a location in Alaska...and will see it again Thursday. Looks brown :D

iamhere300

That is surprising.

St Paul island? Hardly no one goes there. Unless they live there, service turbines, or are with NOAA. Loran?

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
That is surprising.

St Paul island? Hardly no one goes there. Unless they live there, service turbines, or are with NOAA. Loran?

I was surprised as well. Certain talkgroups were also available on the site (I'm not sure how roaming works for every single TGID). Thought I'd be reduced to simplex...

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I was surprised as well. Certain talkgroups were also available on the site (I'm not sure how roaming works for every single TGID). Thought I'd be reduced to simplex...

St. Paul was, and is, in site trunking from what I understand - no reachback to the rest of the system. Site trunking still allows ALMR talkgroups, but it acts as (sort of) its own standalone system. For example, if two people used talkgroup X on island, within the footprint of that one site, they would hear each other. But person in, say, Fairbanks, would not be able to communicate with the people on the island using that same talkgroup. Same would happen if connection between any other neighbor sites is interrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.