RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Alaska Radio Discussion Forum


Alaska Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Alaska.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 1:46 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Davis, California 95616-3140
Posts: 6
Default Princess Cruise Ship frequencies

Been trying to find out what frequencies the Princess Cruise Ship uses as we are takeing a cruise up to AK in August, can anyone help?


Ron
wb6zei@arrl.net
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 2:39 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Western U.S.
Posts: 2,440
Default

http://home.earthlink.net/~ecps92/frequencies.htm

This gentleman has an exquisite list of cruise ship frqs.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 3:14 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Post

What Ship, and what Dates. I can get you some better info and some areas to search if other ships in the port[s] as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11w5151
Been trying to find out what frequencies the Princess Cruise Ship uses as we are takeing a cruise up to AK in August, can anyone help?


Ron
wb6zei@arrl.net
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007, 4:53 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 3
Default Juneau

If you'll be coming through Juneau, and would like some frequencies of local interest, let me know.

Patrick AL7I
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007, 5:30 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Post

In August there are many Princess Ships into Alaska

Coral Princess
Dawn Princess
Diamond Princess
Golden Princess
Island Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess
Sun Princess

Also, while in Port you will probably run across
many others. I probably can work on specific
for you, if you post where/when you leave and
which ship.

Celebrity, Holland America, Cruise West, Royal Caribbean


Quote:
Originally Posted by 11w5151
Been trying to find out what frequencies the Princess Cruise Ship uses as we are takeing a cruise up to AK in August, can anyone help?


Ron
wb6zei@arrl.net
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:06 PM
silverbk's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11w5151
Been trying to find out what frequencies the Princess Cruise Ship uses as we are takeing a cruise up to AK in August, can anyone help?


Ron
wb6zei@arrl.net
See Bill's link.

I just sailed on Sun Princess and his freqs were right on the money.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:11 PM
silverbk's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11w5151
Been trying to find out what frequencies the Princess Cruise Ship uses as we are takeing a cruise up to AK in August, can anyone help?


Ron
wb6zei@arrl.net
A pair of 70cm HT's served my wife and I very well aboard Sun Princess. Don't bother with any FRS radios they won't work.

Fortunately I had my vx-5 modified so I was able to tx on the vhf marine band while in Antiqua. That is how cabs are called.

It's a holdover from when there weren't any cell phones. Just about every business on the Island has a radio in the shop and each vehicle monitoring VHF 68.

I was even able to check into the local net in Lauderdale, and worked a few locals in St Thomas on the 2 meter machines.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:13 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 113
Default

I will be cruising Alaska in August also. I will be taking a Pro 2097/96, BC-396 and possibly AOR AR 8000.

We will be on the Pacific Princess leaving Whittier on 08/08/07 with stops in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. I am mainly interested in public safety, coast guard and general marine frequencies as well as anything used by the ship, but any help with frequencies would be appreciated.

Patrick I will take any information you have on Juneau or any other areas in Alaska.

We will be spending about a week before the cruise wondering around Alaska between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Any information on the Alaska State system and what sites to program would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:27 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Smile

Ship Port Date Arrive Depart
Pacific Princess Whittier, Anchorage, Alaska 8/8/2007 3:00 AM 9:30 PM
Pacific Princess College Fjord, Alaska 8/9/2007 6:00 AM 8:00 AM
Pacific Princess Glacier Bay, Alaska 8/10/2007 11:30 AM 8:30 PM
Zaandam Skagway, Alaska, United States 8/11/2007 7:00 AM 9:00 PM
Pacific Princess Skagway, Alaska, United States 8/11/2007 7:00 AM 8:00 PM
Mercury Juneau, Alaska 8/12/2007 2:30 PM 10:00 PM
Summit Juneau, Alaska 8/12/2007 8:00 AM 9:00 PM
Amsterdam Juneau, Alaska 8/12/2007 11:00 AM 10:30 PM
Pacific Princess Juneau, Alaska 8/12/2007 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
Vision Of The Seas Juneau, Alaska 8/12/2007 11:00 AM 9:00 PM
Zaandam Ketchikan, Alaska 8/13/2007 10:00 AM 6:00 PM
Norwegian Star Ketchikan, Alaska 8/13/2007 7:00 AM 3:00 PM
Pacific Princess Ketchikan, Alaska 8/13/2007 2:30 PM 7:00 PM
Sapphire Princess Ketchikan, Alaska 8/13/2007 6:30 AM 2:00 PM
Seven Seas Mariner Ketchikan, Alaska 8/13/2007 1:00 PM 7:00 PM
Pacific Princess At Sea 8/14/2007
Zaandam Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 8/15/2007 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Pacific Princess Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 8/15/2007 7:30 AM 4:30 PM
Seven Seas Mariner Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 8/15/2007 5:00 PM

The above ships will be in port at the same time as you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
I will be cruising Alaska in August also. I will be taking a Pro 2097/96, BC-396 and possibly AOR AR 8000.

We will be on the Pacific Princess leaving Whittier on 08/08/07 with stops in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. I am mainly interested in public safety, coast guard and general marine frequencies as well as anything used by the ship, but any help with frequencies would be appreciated.

Patrick I will take any information you have on Juneau or any other areas in Alaska.

We will be spending about a week before the cruise wondering around Alaska between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Any information on the Alaska State system and what sites to program would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:29 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Thumbs up

Thanks. Always looking to confirm channels are still in use.
sometimes they change channels [Yearly].



Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbk
See Bill's link.

I just sailed on Sun Princess and his freqs were right on the money.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 113
Default

Thanks for the quick reply Bill. I will be using your page to get information on the other ships that will be around. After looking briefly at your page it appears several Princess Ships use the same freqs. Would it be a safe bet to think Pacific Princess uses some of the same freqs?

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007, 4:47 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Lightbulb

Many of the ships use the same pairs, typically it's the CTCSS or DCS tones that
will let you know which ship your listening to.

457.5000 457.5250 457.5500 457.5750 457.6000 457.6250
467.5000 467.5250 467.5500 467.5750 467.6000 467.6250
467.7500 467.7750 467.8000 467.8000

The above are the common pairings.
Sometimes the Repeater pair can be reversed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
Thanks for the quick reply Bill. I will be using your page to get information on the other ships that will be around. After looking briefly at your page it appears several Princess Ships use the same freqs. Would it be a safe bet to think Pacific Princess uses some of the same freqs?

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007, 1:13 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 3
Smile Juneau Frequencies

146.82: Ham / Mt. Roberts Repeater / Downtown / Near cruise ship docks
146.64: Ham / Henizelmann Repeater / Valley / Pass this on drive to Mendenhall Glacier
147.00: Ham / Lena Pt. Repeater / North of Town / On way to Skagway

For those of you that are hams, all repeaters have a minus offset (including the 147.00 machine) and no PL tone for access. Use of the repeaters is very light.

118.7 AM: Juneau tower - lots of traffic - Alaska Air jets, tour helicopters, float planes, etc.
133.9 AM: Approach/Departure to Juneau - Lena Pt RCAG - Anchorage Center ARTCC
133.2 AM: Gustavus RCAG - only hear occasional traffic on this

155.370: Juneau PD Dispatch (JPD)
154:965: Juneau FD Dispatch (CCFR)

156.800: USCG 16 - hailing frequency
157.050: USCG 21A - Coast Guard working frequency - some transmissions in "secure" mode

Enjoy your trip to Alaska!

Patrick AL7I
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 113
Default

Patrick,

Thanks for the frequencies! I'll make sure to put them in a radio. I am sure the trip will be great.

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007, 9:35 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Red face Good Luck

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Can't wait to hear what you report back


Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
Patrick,

Thanks for the frequencies! I'll make sure to put them in a radio. I am sure the trip will be great.

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2007, 2:38 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 113
Default

Thanks to all who provided frequency information! The weather was great for the cruise. I had a great trip and did a little monitoring from the sun deck using the close call feature of my BC-396.

The bridge channel on Pacific Princess was 457.525 input and 467.75 output with a pl of 69.3. This did not seem right but standing on the sun deck with close call on I got hits on both frequencies with the same traffic. In my cabin 467.75 was stronger than 457.525 so I assume that 467.75 is the repeater. Is this a normal repeater pair?

I heard activity on some of the other frequencies you listed but could not be sure they were Pacific Princess.

The marine channels were active everywhere, with ch 16 being the most active.

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Linn; 08-22-2007 at 2:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2007, 3:34 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Default Repeater Pairs on Cruise Ships

Your pairs look good. Either one can be the output.

I have also experienced Stronger signals on the input frequencies.

It's a start, since no reports on the Pacific Princess have been submitted before.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
Thanks to all who provided frequency information! The weather was great for the cruise. I had a great trip and did a little monitoring from the sun deck using the close call feature of my BC-396.

The bridge channel on Pacific Princess was 457.525 input and 467.75 output with a pl of 69.3. This did not seem right but standing on the sun deck with close call on I got hits on both frequencies with the same traffic. In my cabin 467.75 was stronger than 457.525 so I assume that 467.75 is the repeater. Is this a normal repeater pair?

I heard activity on some of the other frequencies you listed but could not be sure they were Pacific Princess.

The marine channels were active everywhere, with ch 16 being the most active.

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 8:26 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 93
Default Island Princess

Looking for island Princess frequencies
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 8:45 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 559
Default

My wife and I are frequent Princess cruisers and have sailed on the Island Princess a few times. The frequencies listed earlier in this thread are valid BUT, in recent years everything seems to have converted to digital. On our most recent trips, Motorola radios seemed very common among crew members (probably P-25). I am not sure if encryption is used.

Perhaps someone can "fill in the blanks" on this topic.
__________________
Scanning Since 1971
Using Pro92, 94, 97, 106, 2050, 2052, 2004, BC-200XLT
Antiques: TMR-8H, ACT-R10H/L/U, ACT-W10, ACT-A4W
Ham Radio Since 1975 - VE for ARRL, W5YI & WCARS - GROL
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,816
Default

Most ships always maintained Motorola, in recent years they have moved to TRBO not P25

The only Princess Lines reported as using TRBO have been
Regal, Royal and Ruby - all others have been Analog
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4BD View Post
My wife and I are frequent Princess cruisers and have sailed on the Island Princess a few times. The frequencies listed earlier in this thread are valid BUT, in recent years everything seems to have converted to digital. On our most recent trips, Motorola radios seemed very common among crew members (probably P-25). I am not sure if encryption is used.

Perhaps someone can "fill in the blanks" on this topic.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise line, cruise ship

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions