Can u recomend a good AM Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people, I live in a remote Alaskan village 500 miles from Anchorage. I am looking for a good radio. I listen to AM radio stations at long distances at night. I am wondering if a certain brand/model would serve me better. Currently I have $20 small/crankable Radio Shack special that struggals with fade out, and other issues. Any suggestions would be help?

Ivan

gcgrotz

Hey ivan:

well, I'm afraid i will not be specific enough but I do have some ideas. CCrane has some good models, there is a lot of discussion of their models, and similar ones on the CCrane yahoo discussion group. Many of the Kaito units appear to be very good.

Check the Grove enterprises website, as well as Universal Radio's catalog.

I use an Icom R75 which, with a decent length of wire, works very well. It has the added benefit of being one of the best (for the money) shortwave receivers around.

Possibly the best, or most cost effective, solution would be just adding a select-a-tenna to your existing radio. These things work great, they have been around for a long time, some don't even need power. Check either Grove or Universal for these. Either one would be helpful for you if you can call them on the phone they probably have experienced customers in your position.

GOOD LUCK
STAY WARM!

a29zuk

AM Radio

Universal Radio sells the Sangean PR-D5 AM/FM portable. It has a long ferrite bar antenna built in the radio for better AM reception. It costs around $100 and is recommended by Universal for excellent AM coverage. I personally have the Palstar R30CC. It is rated as one of the best broadcast band radios. But like gcgrotz's R-75 it is a communications receiver(100khz-30mhz) and doesn't have a internal antenna so you would need an outside long wire antenna(20' or longer). It also picks up shortwave, ham, utility stations, etc. Universal Radio sells an updated version of the R30CC and is now called the R30A.

Good Luck and Happy DX
Jim

n5ims

Actually the best AM broadcast band radios I've found are the old car radios (AM only models). They are very sensitive and dirt cheap at local auto junk yards. Make sure that you get the connectors (just clip the wires, leaving enough room to splice them) since they may no longer be made. Add a speaker, antenna, and 12v power supply and you'll be set. All but the power supply can probably be gotten as a package deal from the junk yard at little or no additional cost with a little haggling.

N0KMA

If you can find one...
GE Superadio II, or III.
General Electric Superadio III, RCA RP7887 Superadio III

Oh yes i agree. The GE Superadio's are great AM BC band receivers. I also use a Grundig G5 with a homebrewed indoor receiving loop. It's about a 3 foot diamond shaped contraption with a variable capacitor for nulling out noise and increasing signal. I can send you the plans for it if your interested. Just shoot me a PM if you like. My favorite rig for AM BC is an old 1950's Zenith 5 tube superhet. I keep it on the kitchen counter and it can fill the whole house with great sounding AM.

Todd
NØKMA

k9rzz

I suspect that living so far north, near the auroral circle, fade outs will be a problem with any radio, but certainly you'll improve your chances with better gear. Any of those mentioned above will help. I can vouch for used car radios and the GE SRIII. Neither will hurt the wallet very much but still perform well. Then you could always build a box loop antenna to really pull in those distant stations. Post a log of what you can hear up there!

Status
Not open for further replies.