maha mh-a301 5W in, 50W out amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

herm0016

i would love to know what kind of current the maha mh-a301 amp for the 2m band draws. i am looking at making a powersupply for it to use in my home, 120vac to 12vdc, going to use an old computer power supply or a power brick, not sure what kind of watts/amps that this needs. thanks!

N

N_Jay

herm0016 said:
i would love to know what kind of current the maha mh-a301 amp for the 2m band draws. i am looking at making a powersupply for it to use in my home, 120vac to 12vdc, going to use an old computer power supply or a power brick, not sure what kind of watts/amps that this needs. thanks!

Assume 80% efficiency, the add a 50% safety factor.

10 Watts out needs 12.5 watts in plus 6.25 safety, so you need 18.75 Watts, which is 1.78 Amps figured at 10.5 volts (using the lowest typical voltage from a 12 v system for additional safety)

I am guessing at the 10 watts out, but that should be an easy number to find.

Of measure the thing. (Don't forget to put in margin for safety and transients.)

Also, computer power supplies do not like odd loads like RF amps. Might work, might not.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
With 50 watts transmitter I would use a 20 amp minimum. A 20-25 amp power supply would let you use it to power many items at the same tjme. I use 35 amp supplies and have enough power for all my needs.

Concrete1

Virtually every 50W 2m mobile is rated at 10-11A draw, & include 15A fuses in the power line. Most of the 40 to 50W 2M Amps I've come across are specd at 6-8A draw , so a 10A power supply should do the trick.

N

N_Jay

I have to read better.

Multiply my 1.78 X 5! LOL :D

Hmm, are they really that inefficient? 20A?

Last edited:

herm0016

thanks for the info! i can nolonger find these amps anywhere, i got mine with a kenwood th-22at portable 2m. have not hooked it to the amp yet though becuause i am waiting for my antenna.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
the biggest waste of money is to buy several small power supplies. One decent supply can run many radios. I use one 35 amp supply and I have 5 HF radios with 100 to 150 watt of power. I can only transmit on one at a time so I don't have a problem. I also use a rigrunner and have 6 scanners hooked into the same power supply. does away with all those wallwarts.

Save your self future problems, invest in a decent power supply to start with. Then you can forget all the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.