Regency Touch K500 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

I have this K500 I just received in the mail today? I was all excited to plug it in and see what she could do.

But then when I plugged it in, it SQUEALED. It wasn't static, it was a high pitch squeal.

And it squealed regardless of whether the switch was in the on or off position, and regardless of where the volume and squelch was set. The only way to stop the squeal was to unplug.

Now I recall these K500's have a problem with the switch and that it needed work after however many years. Would that cause this to happen?

Or do I have a boat anchor?

Anyone have any ideas about this?

TIA. :)

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
this is a gusess......... but i really dont think a switch would cause that problem.

i have had a similar problem with a radio shack pro-2050 and have not been able to figure it out. my first guess is an audio amp problem, maybe an op-amp has gone wacky.

dont make a boat anchor out of it yet. those were good scanners.

ThomasMcKean

this is a gusess......... but i really dont think a switch would cause that problem.

i have had a similar problem with a radio shack pro-2050 and have not been able to figure it out. my first guess is an audio amp problem, maybe an op-amp has gone wacky.

dont make a boat anchor out of it yet. those were good scanners.

Yes. That's why I want to get it working? But it may be a bit beyond my capability. :(

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
G&G Communications can repair it if you cant do it yourself and want to spend the extra money. He's an expert at repairing vintage scanners.

IBM

See if you can get a hold of this guy on youtube fixed a k500 that had problems might be able to help you out.Regency K500 Scanner Unboxing 2-2 - YouTube

That would be me. :)

In regards to your problem, my K500 ironically very recently had the same issue. Would make a rather loud and annoying high pitched squeal, even when it was turned off. I found that this issue was caused by a bad power supply (at least that was the case for mine) The power supply was going bad and was not supplying the unit with sufficient power and would cause a whine... I replaced the power supply with one that I pulled out of a non-operating Regency K100 and it fired right up with no more problems.

You can find a few K100's on eBay for next to nothing, snag a few for some parts, they are very identical to the K500.

If this doesn't solve your problem, it could be the sound amplifier, or the speaker itself. Worst case scenario the unit is totally gone.

Good luck!

mm

The k500 and the k100 both had the same motor boating problem which was caused by corrosion and intermittent grounds on a metal cover over part of the rf board/VCO section. If you remove the chassis from the wood cover you will see the metal shield over the rf board that needs to have the metal cleaned of corrosion and also there are some ground points on the shield/cover that may need resoldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.