replacing LCD display in VR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
I have a Yeasu VR-500, I've had new since 1999 and when I powered it on recently I noticed that the LCD was missing characters, has anyone else had this issue. If anyone has had this issue and had unit repaired please let me know where you had repair performed and cost?

slicerwizard

Many LCDs use a rubberized connector between the LCD and the circuit board. Running a pencil lead along the contacts of the rubber connector can eliminate display errors. A paper shim to force the LCD against the connector also helps.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Mine is new since 2002, and about a year ago random columns of pixels have been disappearing and reappearing. Gonna take mine apart and check the LCD connector; I hope it's not permanently soldered in. I've had the back off, but not more than that.

eorange

Hey eorange did you ever have any luck with checking LCD screen on VR500
I did not..I couldn't get the ring nuts loose on the volume/squelch/BNC connectors, so I couldn't get it apart. I may send it in per the previous poster...

eorange

I sent my VR-500 back to Yaesu to fix the missing pixel columns on the display. I also had them fix the keyboard (some of the keys were not responding), and they also replaced the antenna packing.

Happy to say everything is working great; it seems like a new radio now.

palmerjrusa

Yaesu still supports the VR500, I had a LCD replaced last year, around $50-75 if I remember right......

Just checked my old VR-500 and some of the pixels on the display are not functioning, as others have noted with their units.
I emailed Yaesu yesterday and was informed they no longer support the VR-500.

As anyone had any luck repairing this issue by themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.