yaesus/kenwood x-banding

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8CES

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a mobile to do crossband repeating, considering the following models;
ft8800r, ft8900r, tm700a. It seems that all the features to do crossband legally are in the kenwood tm700a,remote control, 3 minute timeout timer, voice synthesizer for ID,(opt.) and the yeasu models don't have remote control feature. the 8900 is supposed to be full duplex on cross band, dont think the kenwood is. any comments or info appreciated, scannerdweeb.

ke4gvx

I got the yaesu ft8900r. Its very easy to set up crossband repeat. It works well. The only catch to it is to get out of crossband repeat there can be no transmissions going on the frequencys that you are using. You can always just power off the radio. The ft8900 is also just one big bank of frequencys. Its does not make a good scanner. If you don't really talk much on 6fm or 10mfm . I would go with the ft8880r. It does have 10 banks of memories like a scanner.

Robert ke4gvx

KD8CES

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, What info I have on the 8800,8900 it sounds like both are good units, just have to weigh the similarities and diffewrences and make up my mind. Prices on the units is quite reasonable for the features. thanks again. Scannerdweeb, 73's.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I've had two of the 8900's. I've got one for sale right now in the FOR SALE section of the site. If you have an intrest in working 10 & 6 meters, it's worth it for the few extra dollars you spend. I've done ALOT of cross banding on it and it works excellent. Clear audio too. Best mobile I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.