Shinwa scanner? Ever heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kny2xb

It reminds me of a Kenwood RZ-1 receiver from the 1980's. The specs appear to be close. The Kenwood only had 100 channels I think. And the RZ-1 han no remote control.
I would have killed for one of those RZ-1's FOR Milair monitoring, but I was married at the time.
Marriage = 1, Money = 0 :(

Greg
Palm Harbor, FL
PRO-2004
PRO-43
PRO-91
PRO-2050
PRO-97
DX-400

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hey Matt,

I actually had that about 15 years ago and was a pretty good receiver!
I remember that I could cook an egg on it! It ran very hot!
Take care

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
When I was in REACT when I lived in Ohio we had one for our communications van. It was a good working radio, they were supposed to come out with an adapter so it could be programmed with a PC, but I never saw it. I remember having to program it with remote. I have two Shinwa SH405G's, 16 channel UHF radios.

Voyager

safetyobc said:
Check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/SHINWA-SR001-RADIO-SCANNER-FULL-COVERAGE-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ5877320859QQcategoryZ14956QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone ever heard of this type scanner? Is it a foreign model?

Looks cool! I like the remote!

It's a foreign company with a USA HQ. They've made pagers for years - including for GE Land Mobile. I think pagers is all they make anymore.

http://www.sca-incorp.com/about.asp

I remember when they announced that scanner.

Note the title of the auction... "very rare". That's one way of saying very few people bought them. That should tell you something. ;->

No trunking, no CTCSS/CDCSS (from what I recall), not very fast scan speed. Does look nice - I'll give them that.

Joe M.

Mozilla

Voyager said:
Note the title of the auction... "very rare". That's one way of saying very few people bought them. That should tell you something. ;->
Joe M.

Yes.... that they where exspensive at the time, and they where not common knowledge in the scanning market. I had several of these and also the Kenwood RZ-1... I even had 1-2 posted for sale on here in the last several months. They are an excellent professional reciever. I still have one in my vehicle and also have 2 left, but will probably dump one more just due to having other options. And yes.. it did not do PL or DPL, but there was a mod for the scan speed ;], and they never did come out with the software to control or program them :[ . However great unit, and it used to cause eye glaze when the local hams or scanning enthusiasts saw it, till you mentioned the price at that time...
Should be noted these where also installed in several Federal Agencies vehicles, choppers and boats along with being used in monitoring kits. Overall with the exception of the remote control only programmming, an exceptional unit, and definitely top of the class when it came out... going price today is in the $200-$350 range for most...
Forgot to add yes, in the unblocked category and also a DIN mount unit...

Last edited:

Archie

SHINWA SCANNER--Reply

The name Shinwa really intrigued me after reading about it in a Scanning 101 type book years back in my local public library.

It said Shinwa was a good scanner if you were looking to search for unpublished, low power surveillance frequencies. The model pictured in the book had some type of search and memory function similiar to frequency counters like the Scout.

The model pictured in the Ebay ad looks slightly different though.

And the price on Ebay seems quite excessive. Is it not ???

Mozilla

Shinwa

Well they are older... but still popular, I had one sell for $400 that was new in box and sold several others in the 300-350 range , also new. This one looks good, but you may also find other units by Icom and Standard and a few others... its really a personal preference. I would probably still pay $200-$300 for a Shinwa or Kenwood RZ-1.

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
I have one with the cell frequencies opened up and the scan speed increased.
200 channel.

The hardest part is remembering that the twist on antenna connection is the number 2 antenna and that most communications other then television or FM radio are all narrow bands.

The internals are very noisy, mine has a piece of copper shield inside of it to try to quiet the internal / external noise.
It is not real sensitive and it has a habit of skipping over some transmissions sometime.

It's still a good radio if you have the time to mess around - to program it for what you want to listen to.
The downside is - if you unplug it for any length of time, it forgets its memory and then you have to start all over again.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I have a mobile transceiver by Shinwa - it talks to kingdom come and back! Its great. If anyone wants to see pics, let me know.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Hey Matt,

I actually had that about 15 years ago and was a pretty good receiver!
I remember that I could cook an egg on it! It ran very hot!
Take care

I had one too and you aren't kidding. It was the hottest receiver I've ever had. It died due to the heat soon after I got it, and I decided to do something about it when it came back from getting fixed. I cut a 2" square out of it and put a computer fan on it and it ran almost cold after that. I eventually sold it to a guy who used it for years until the display failed. It was a decent radio with the heat issue solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.