dgoodson

Feed Provider
I would like to buy a scanner that will do the following:

Conventional reception - I don't need trunking or digital reception
300 or more channels
Alpha tags in the display - to display frequencies "by name"
PL/DCS/DSQ capability
"table top" model.

is there such a thing, without all the other bells and whistles that I don't need?

I currently have a Uniden 895XLT which does MOST of this. It doesn't have alpha tags, and it only accomodates PL CTCS (no DCS or DSQ). Its a real work horse.

I also have a Uniden BCD396 which does all this. However, when I connect a heavy duty external antenna cable, the tail wags the dog, and the radio constantly is tipping over, or twisting out of view to accomodate where ever the antenna cable wants it to lie. Plus I use the 396 on the go, and like having a table top model by the easy chair that I don't have to connect/disconnect when I want to hit the road.

Thanks for ideas

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Edit...Not sure where the begining of my post went :) Here's what I think I was writing....

Most of the scanners with those specs (ctcss/dcs & alphatags) will have trunking. I'd say the 2055 is a good choice for what you are looking for. With the RS sales now every two weeks, you might want to see what the price will be in two weeks.

Last edited:

MNRotrMedic

I agree that a PRO-2055 would be a good choice. I have a PRO-97 that i love and every report that ii've sen is that the 2055 is every bit as good as the '97. Uniden is coming out with a few bases as well over the next few months so if you've got the patience and $$ that would be an option. I believe that two bases are coming including one digital TT4 and a nondigital TT3.

EMSJUNKY

I would get a Vertex FT60. It is a ham radio, BUT has monitoring capabilities for 118mhz-800 mhz (cell blocked). You can set PL tones, as well as text labels for your channels. you can also program this radio in the field or via a computer interface. Even though it is a portable radio, i uitilize mine as a base unit and have it hooked up to an antenna on my roof. Audio quality is superb. Scans great too.

safetyobc

Pro-2055.

I just got mine last week and I really like it. Now I intend on buying it's cousin the Pro-97 which is the handheld model, only RS.com is out of stock of the 97. But has the 2055!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Quite possibly,one of the best portables on the market at the moment...
Will do almost anything,go anywhere and very tough!
Kenwood TH/F6

Status
Not open for further replies.