Ft 60r?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMSJUNKY

The FT-60R was my most recent radio purchase. Its a great little radio. I utilize it mostly for monitoring, and have utilized it for lite amatuer radio ops... it worked fine, but I am in the Bay Area where repeaters are a dime-a-dozen.

Additionally, I like that I can put different radio plans in the radio via my laptop. You can get software for this from http://www.kc8unj.com/.

Feel free to shoot my and specific questions that you might have.

jmp883

A great little radio. I just got my Technician ticket last month and I bought an FT-60 as well as a Yaesu FT-7800 mobile for my truck. They're both great radios with good audio and easy to operate.

My only gripe is that the manuals for both of them are not written as clearly as they could have been. Certain programming and operating steps were either prinited incorrectly or completely omitted. It only took a few minutes to figure out the proper steps, and if you get the software it won't be an issue at all.

Definitely a good radio. :D

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine is a ham and has this radio. It's pretty sweet. Good audio, and a rugged case. He also has the cable and programming software which makes it a lot better. Plus the fact you can set up zones and scan those, or all together, not to mention it holds like 1,000 channels... can't go wrong. Plus it has a real belt clip, not like what some of those others try to aim for. It would look like a good buy.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Thumbs up!

The FT-60 is a great radio. Solid performer, LOUD audio, belt clip that ain't gonna let go no matter what, absolutely no complaints. The radio just feels RUGGED when you handle it. I use the free programming software as well from kc8unj, and it does a fine job.

I ditched the stock antenna and use a Diamond RH77-CA (sma version), plus the SRH-519 which is their rat-tail whip. I also bought the 6 AA battery holder and use 1.2v NiMH rechargeables for my second battery pack.

I didn't do the MARS/CAP mod (no need for it), but do use it for local 2m/440, and satellite operation. The wide Rx is nice, and it includes the UHF mil air band which is a plus for me.

Go for it! You won't be sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.