Yaesu VX-7R

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Can you get one of these for receive only if you aren't a Ham? I love the design and the many features of this receiver and would ONLY use it for receive only. Is that legal? Meaning a non Ham having a Ham radio?

Any comments on the radio?

safetyobc

Thanks guys. It is a little pricey for me at the moment. But that might be next purchase. I love the true dual receive feature, among others.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
It's a fine radio. I've had one for 2 1/2 years and I love it. The shortwave RX is quite good too.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I didn't know the kenwood did ssb! I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the heads up.

safetyobc

Yep that Kenwood is a good looking radio as well. Features and physical appearance. I am going to look into getting my Ham license.

Although I don't know anyone that is a ham. Personally I mean.

KW4EZR

Hey Matt,

I woud go with the F6a as well, I have owned one before and wish I still had it. The F6a has two Receivers in it that work simultaneously. You can have both the A receiver and B receiver scanning memory banks (the same banks or different) at the same time and it will receive Transmissions onthem at the same time. It is almost like having two scanners going at once. You can set one receiver to be louder than the other one or to mute one receiver if you have say your “priority” banks scanning on the other. The ONLY reason I don’t have mine now is because traded it to a Pro-96 because I thought I wanted digital. Wish I had the F6A back. Also if you get your ham Ticket your can't beat it as a multiband HT. 5 watts and great range for simplex and repeater work.

safetyobc said:
Yep that Kenwood is a good looking radio as well. Features and physical appearance. I am going to look into getting my Ham license.

Although I don't know anyone that is a ham. Personally I mean.

MarkWestin

Hello,

I bought the Kenwood THF6a. I didn't like it. I didn't like the material that the stock antenna is made of. Its sticky and almost impossible to keep clean. The case is plastic and the keys weren't very durable. Sure it has some nice features like a big battery, but I just wasn't impressed. I sold mine and bought a VX-7R. It isn't perfect (what radio is?) but I like it much better than I did the TH-F6a. The VX-7R also has dual receive, just like the TH-F6a. The "rubber bumpers" on the case are a nice extra touch. Also, Yeasu sells an inexpensive external charger, so you can charge one battery while you are using the radio somewhere else.

Mark

KW4EZR

MarkWestin said:
Hello,

I bought the Kenwood THF6a. I didn't like it. I didn't like the material that the stock antenna is made of. Its sticky and almost impossible to keep clean. The case is plastic and the keys weren't very durable. Sure it has some nice features like a big battery, but I just wasn't impressed. I sold mine and bought a VX-7R. It isn't perfect (what radio is?) but I like it much better than I did the TH-F6a. The VX-7R also has dual receive, just like the TH-F6a. The "rubber bumpers" on the case are a nice extra touch. Also, Yeasu sells an inexpensive external charger, so you can charge one battery while you are using the radio somewhere else.

Mark

I didn't know the Yaesu had dual receive. I agree with the keypad statement, After some use the paint came off, but on the bright side Kenwood sent me a new one free of charge. The second one that I recieved from Kenwood never rubbed off however.

safetyobc

I think the Kenwood would be the way to go with me.

I realize it has less memory channels but it isn't my main scanner anyway. I also like the fact that the Kenwood has SSB receive among other features.

I see the Yaesu transmitts on 50, 2M and 440 bands where the Kenwood does 2M, 220 and 440 bands. Not that that matters to me at this point.

What about CTCSS/DCS decode on the Kenwood? Is the Kenwood keypad backlit? And also the LCD doesn't look all that clear on the Kenwood?

Thanks for any info.

Tweekerbob

Safety,

I have a VX7 and it will do 220 (Only 300mW though!). I really don't have any experience with the Kenwood. I assume the Kenwood also has this feature, but the VX7 does have a PTT lock, preventing you from accidentally transmitting.

Although I love the VX7, here are a couple of its shortcomings,

It really doesn't have any scan "banks". It does have memory groups but if I remember correctly, it can only scan one group at a time (40 channels).

Also, the keypad is not backlit.

Finally, I don't know how this compares with the Kenwood, but wideband receive is only available on the "main" band, or receiver A if you will. The Sub band is limited to VHF-HI and UHF. Major bummer for me trying to listen to CHP on lowband on both receivers.

Still a great rig, and if you get tired of your yellow rubber duckie, you can play with this rig in the tub:)

Ryan
AB6OI

Tweekerbob

Oops! Yes, you are correct. The keypad is backlit. For whatever reason I got my wires crossed and was thinking another radio.
Ryan

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a vx6r , although I did look at the kenwood my thoughts were that if I want to do any hf ssb listening I'm going to do it in a serious manner & use my grundig or another base /portable sw reciever ,I suppose with an antenna adapter & long wire type antenna hf ssb might be acceptable ,..but what is really left on hf ssb anyaway ? most of the exciting military stuff has long since moved , there is ham maritime & aircraft , so its up to you if you really need the hf ssb coverage on the go , it might be what you want , but I couldnt justify it myself ...in addition to the extra cost of the kenwood the accessories are more expensive too
The vx6 is a nice package reasonably priced , good triband ham transeiver & decent scanner
with coverage of the shortwave broadcast bands, although an external long wire will give much better performance on hf ..waterproof & rugged , unless you really need ssb while on the move I think the vx 6 or vx7 is a good choice for everyday use & motoring around town
If you require trunking or digital coverage , you should also be considering the BCD396T
or something similar.

dimab

Both are great radios. I own a VX-6R.
Consider that the Kenwood only has 2 power options .5W and 5W, and at 5W thats is a huge drain on the battery. The Yaesu's have a bit more options, .5W, 1W, 2.5W and 5W.
Another great feature of the VX-7R is that it can do alpha tagging, not sure if the Kenwood can.
I had the same dilema when i was looking for my first HT.

Goodluck, keep us posted on the decision.

JESSERABBIT

dimab said:
Both are great radios. I own a VX-6R.
Consider that the Kenwood only has 2 power options .5W and 5W, and at 5W thats is a huge drain on the battery. The Yaesu's have a bit more options, .5W, 1W, 2.5W and 5W.
Another great feature of the VX-7R is that it can do alpha tagging, not sure if the Kenwood can.
I had the same dilema when i was looking for my first HT.

Goodluck, keep us posted on the decision.

Yes the Kenwood does have alpha tagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.