Yaesu VR-500 Scanner & ADMS-3 Programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuscan

I picked up a Yaesu VR-500 handheld scanner and the Yaesu ADMS-3 programming software and not the RT systems ADMS-3 software. I didn't have a programming cable BUT I researched the internet and it seems the VR-500 programming cable is the same as the ICOM OPC-478 programming cable for the ICOM R2. R3, R5, R6, etc. Also RT systems list their USB-29A Cable the same for the ICOM R6 and Yaesu VR-500.

I installed the software on a Windows XP machine because the cable I have is a serial version of the OPC-478 and not a USB one. I picked the correct com port and selected to receive data from the radio. I put the radio in clone mode and selected #2 for TX data and I got a "check sum error".

I reset the radio to factory defaults and tried several times using the instructions in the manual for the software. I still received that error or a time out. The radio display also said error.

What am I doing wrong or do I have to buy the Yaesu cable. Is their an internal setting in the radio menu that must be change like an address?

Cable info here:

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/VR-500-Programming-Software-and-USB-cable-p/adms-3-usb.htm

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
The cable I use for my VR-500 also works for my Icom R6, so it's probably not the cable.

Make sure to set the COM port speed in XP to a low bad rate, like 9600 or at most 19200. Also make sure the other COM port parameters are 8/None/1. There is nothing in the VR-500 that you have to set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

compuscan

I checked the serial port and it's 9600, 8/None/1. The serial port works ok because I use it to transfer files to/from my Icom. I tried everything I could think of. The software says checksum error when trying to read data from the radio and the radio says ERROR on it's display after a short time. When trying to send data to the radio I get a ERR!! 14 on the radio display.

Radio seems to work good on 'it's own, cable works well with an Icom and the serial port works with the Icom.

I'm really puzzled on this one. The software is super simple to use and for radio setup only has a drop box for the com port. I check the windows settings for the com port under the control panel.

BTW> The software is the Yaesu version and sold by Yaesu but in the about box it does say it's by RT systems. RT systems sells their own version which is also newer.

eorange

Hmmm, sorry, don't know what else to tell you. Sounds like you're doing everything right.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use the RT Systems USB-29A (USB) cable and their software for the VR-500. It works very well. When there are updates, the program alerts me to it and pulls them down.

I suspect there is an issue with the driver and your particular serial cable. Even that version/release of Windows OS could be the spoiler. Does the software you installed indicate support/drivers for that serial cable?

eorange

The OP did say the cable works with his Icom, so the drivers sound ok. I forgot to mention my cable is a DB9 serial, but I do use it with a FTDI serial to usb cable.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I checked the serial port and it's 9600, 8/None/1. The serial port works ok because I use it to transfer files to/from my Icom. I tried everything I could think of. The software says checksum error when trying to read data from the radio and the radio says ERROR on it's display after a short time. When trying to send data to the radio I get a ERR!! 14 on the radio display.

Radio seems to work good on 'it's own, cable works well with an Icom and the serial port works with the Icom.

I'm really puzzled on this one. The software is super simple to use and for radio setup only has a drop box for the com port. I check the windows settings for the com port under the control panel.

BTW> The software is the Yaesu version and sold by Yaesu but in the about box it does say it's by RT systems. RT systems sells their own version which is also newer.

Not clear if it is new or used. If used you might have bought a limited functioning radio. Check to make sure the radio end of the cable is pushed in all the way. Especially if the socket on the radio is recessed. On other Yaesu HTs you have to buy a cable with a long shank plug because of the water resistance rating and the socket is deeply recessed. I'm not sure if that applies to the VX. If the shoulder of the plug interferes it might be possible to razor blade the shoulder for a better fit.

Only other thing I can think of is the hand-shake lines might not be setup correctly at the computer. I know it works with the Icom, but maybe the program is setting up the com port better than the Yaesu. The radio interface is only three wire so it does not care about the hand-shake, but the computer might not be "strapped happy". Generally that is telling the com port to ignore several of the incoming status lines.

Also double check the baud rate the radio is set for or expected to use and see if you can track down what error 14 means. Time outs and error on both ends seems like connection or speed problems.

Good Luck,
Mike

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest calling RT Systems. Several years ago I had an issue with one of their cables for a VX-6 cables that I bought used. I called their customer service and they replaced it for free even though I told them I bought it used. Also XP could be a problem with that version of the software.

eorange

I ended up purchasing the USB-29A cable from RT systems, and it does work.

One time I was uploading to the radio, which takes a long time. I then started watching a video and doing other things at the same time, and the transfer ended in error. I tried again without running any other software, and the transfer was successful. So make sure your computer is as idle as can be during transfers.

compuscan

I finally have it working. I bought the Icom opc-478uc (USB version) of the cable and it worked fine. I'm still not sure why the original serial cable didn't work on a computer with a serial port and a second computer with a USB to serial adapter. This same cable worked with Icom radios on the same two computers but not the Yaesu.

The newer Icom OPC-478UC works perfectly so it has to be related to the cable some how.

Anyway, it's working now and thanks to everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.