Yaesu VR5000 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
Hi Guys,
Has anyone properly repaired the VR5000 display? It started off with just one vertical line missing and over the course of a year or so lost more and more lines, both vertical and horizonal, and the last straw was when some whole words started to disappear. Not being able to see what was happening when a button was pressed rapidly made the thing into a paperweight. I can control it from a program called FTBCat which works reasonably well but there little or no feedback from the radio to the programme so you don't know if the commands are being interpreted properly. I know it's a pretty slow and limited programming system that Yaesu 'invented' and I can't see any way around it.

I have looked at the innards of the display and the connections are done by a pair of those flimsy elastomeric connectors - having had problems with those things in the past - albeit a lot smaller - I'm hesitant to start playing with this much larger version - I think there's 24 x 2 rows of connections that have to be perfectly lined up and you can't test it until the entire front panel is put back together.

I'm tempted to just sell it off for spares or try to buy another but from reading a lot of reports they all succumb to the same defect. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the history of the VR-5000 and the VR-500 handheld, they both have disappearing pixels for many years. I don't think there is a simple fix . I would give Yaesu and call and see if they can repair it or offer a replacement part.

palmerjrusa

Looking at the history of the VR-5000 and the VR-500 handheld, they both have disappearing pixels for many years. I don't think there is a simple fix . I would give Yaesu and call and see if they can repair it or offer a replacement part.

My Yaesu VR-500 has this non-functioning pixels problem.
Emailed Yaesu yesterday and they informed me they no longer support the VR-500 receiver.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue themselves please let me know.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I had this same problem with my VR-500 about 3 years ago. I had called Yaesu and they had me send it in for repair.

palmerjrusa

I had this same problem with my VR-500 about 3 years ago. I had called Yaesu and they had me send it in for repair.

They must have stopped supporting it since then.
Other than the pixel problem my unit is as new and it's a great little receiver.

Read somewhere else that it might be a contact problem, so looks like I'm going to have to try and fix this myself.

eorange

You could always try calling them anyway, just to see what they say. I hear you, though. Good luck!

palmerjrusa

You could always try calling them anyway, just to see what they say. I hear you, though. Good luck!

Called Yaesu and they confirmed they no longer support the VR-500.

However, they did provide a list of third party repair services (in contrast to the original Yaesu email where they said they knew of no other repair services) so will be contacting them.

Thanks for your suggestion!
KC8RZM

eorange

Very good! I got my VR-500 in 2002 and will probably never part with it...it's a fun radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.