All you HAMS out there.... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nopicowboy

I've got a yaesu VX 5R talkie. The stock antenna bites the big one... Can you guys reccomend a good handie talkie antenna that's not 80 ft long? I live about 20 miles from the repeater I use often, and on 5W power, I can barely make it... I'm usually choppy into the repeater, and I'd like something that'd give me a bit more punch over the stock duckie.

It is SMA, but I also have a SMA to BNC adapter. So either SMA or BNC antennas I can use.

AES has some that are like 40 bucks. Before I spend 40 bucks for a duckie, I'll build a 2 meter quad and aim at the tower so I can hit it on 500 mw. LOL. I might do that anyway, BUT, for now, I'd like a good 2 meter/70 cm, or just 2 meter only antenna to replace the duckie with. What do you guys reccomend?

dimab

I have had excellent performance on a Diamond SRH815, which covers 2M/70cm/23cm
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/srh815.html
It's very reasonably sized and very flexable.
SRH815.jpg

rhutch

I've had good results with the Comet SMA 24 it has 2.15 db gain on 2m and 5.3 db on 40 cm it's .43m long but very thin and flexible. I'v alos use the SRH-77 which works very well the SMA -3 which is shorter and has a fold over feature also works well. There ar tons of good 2m/440 ants. out there.

I also have the VX-5

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have the vx 5 also,and the stock duck usually works in most cases,but if you're 20miles
from your home repeater then that's a job for more gain,but don't give up on the stock
ant. unless there's something wrong with it.
73's! N9ZAS

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Put up an outside antenna and connect the radio to it like you mentioned. 20 Miles is stretching the envelope for 5 watts with a lossy duck.

Tom_G

Good Antenna

Yes, the Diamond antenna dimab recommended is great.
Comet makes one just like it.
I have found them to be better then some of the longer HT antenna's.
The really thin whip is nice also.....

Those would be my recommendation also.......

EMSJUNKY

I am currently using a 6" VHF antenna for 2m operations on my Vertex FT60. It is tuned to 135-170 mhz. (it comes with instructions on how to tune the antenna). I was a bit skeptical when first using it, but I was just trying out various antennas because the stock antenna that came with the HT sucked. I am able to hit repeaters more that 20 miles away with a 5W HT. (Infact, I was able to hit the MT. Diablo repeater more than 50 miles away with the antenna) It works great for 2m ops.

And the best part is that it is fairly inexpensive. ($14.00)
Here is a link to action communications. They were VERY helpful and willing to spend the time to help thier customers. Great radio store (commercial grade radios)

http://www.actioncommunications.com...e=ATV6XL&Category_Code=AntennasVertexStandard

Hope this helps

cschmit

I have a Diamond SRH519 and it covers 2M/70cm and it works great. I have no complaints with it and would buy it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.