multi-band vertical - 10m + 6m???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Is anyone aware of any multi-band vertical antennas primarily for 6 and 10 meters? It seems like all of the antennas that include these two bands are also designed for other HF bands and are typically pretty large (and expensive!). I'd like to find something mainly for 6 and 10.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Is anyone aware of any multi-band vertical antennas primarily for 6 and 10 meters? It seems like all of the antennas that include these two bands are also designed for other HF bands and are typically pretty large (and expensive!). I'd like to find something mainly for 6 and 10.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The only 10/6 meter antenna I've ever seen that wasn't home built was a mobile antenna designed with the Syntor X in mind. I don't know that it's still available.

A vertical for those two bands would be pretty easy to build, though. Probably far cheaper than you could buy.

k9rzz

It's probably tough to get both bands on one antenna, but you could try.

Get a CB ground plane and modify that (shorten it) for 10 meters. A 2 meter 5/8 whip will work on 6m.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's probably tough to get both bands on one antenna, but you could try.

Technically, it would be rather easy. The problem would be that there isn't much demand for it - not just those two bands. This is where home brewing comes in.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far. However, let me reiterate... I'm looking for a combined VERTICAL antenna for 6 and 10m.

I already have a long random wire in the air for horizontal SSB but I need something for 6 and 10 vertical FM. All of the multi-band verticals that I've seen in catalogs are 1) way too tall and 2) very expensive!

A solution that could be configured the about the same as a nominal 15-20' tall vertical antenna would be ideal, since I need to keep the antennas/wires as unobtrusive as possible.

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas.

AD7VH

Another way to do a 10m/6m vertical, is to make a 10m vertical out of aluminum, or whatever. Then, you make standoffs about 3 inches long. You attach the standoffs to the 10m vertical, and space them every couple feet. You should have already put a hole at the far end of the standoff. You just run a 1/4 wavelength long wire for 6m up the side of the 10m vertical. You also need to use at least 3 radials for each band.

My favorite material to use for the standoffs is Plexiglas. I attach the standoff using a small U-bolt.

It really depends on what kind of operation that you need the antenna for. If you are going to be doing local FM on 6m, then this antenna would work great. If you want to do Es on 10m and 6m it will do so-so. In my opinion, the 6m/10 inverted V will be the best compromise for doing it all on both bands.

John, AD7VH, east central Nevada

hockeyshrink

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far. However, let me reiterate... I'm looking for a combined VERTICAL antenna for 6 and 10m.

I already have a long random wire in the air for horizontal SSB but I need something for 6 and 10 vertical FM. All of the multi-band verticals that I've seen in catalogs are 1) way too tall and 2) very expensive!

A solution that could be configured the about the same as a nominal 15-20' tall vertical antenna would be ideal, since I need to keep the antennas/wires as unobtrusive as possible.

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas.

The antenna known as the "A99" and sold under the brand of Solarcon or Antron works well on 10 meters, and I have been told it will tune to 6 as well. I have not tried it, though. It is an 18', 3 section vertical.

:cool:

Edit: OK. I tried it. I disconnected my 6m vertical and hooked up the A99. I lost 2db of reception of a local repeater and was only able to tune SWR down to 3.0. I think not (but hey, it was an experiment)

Last edited:

AD7VH

With the Antron 99 being a fullwave on 6m, this would present some problems. One, it would have a very high impedance on 6m. Another fact, it would also put most of it's radiation up at around 30 degrees. Once you get longer than 5/8ths wave the pattern starts to go higher, not lower.

If you want a dedicated dual band vertical for 10m and 6m. I don't know if you want another antenna for just 6m, or to have one antenna and one feed-line. If you want one antenna and one feed-line, you can do like I suggested before. That is, you just make parallel antennas. You make the 10m vertical out of some kind of tubing; you make the 6m part out of wire; run it alongside the 10m vertical, and space it about 3" from it using insulators. You also need to make 3-4 radials for both bands. These, too, can be ran parallel to each other. For the radials, I suggest using 300 ohm ribbon wire: you just cut 3-4 radials for 10m, and then cut one side of the ribbon wire for 6m. When you cut it for 6m you just need to make a 1" gap in the ribbon wire on that side.

I hope that helps.

73, John, AD7VH, east central Nevada

chief21

Premium Subscriber
I think I may have found one...

First, let me thank everyone who has offered antenna suggestions thus far. Good ideas!

Today I think I may have found an antenna that will meet my needs. The S9 jr antenna reportedly works on 20m though 6 m and is only 17' high, and it costs only $49. However, there is only one (1) review for this particular model on eham.

Can anyone here comment on the adequacy of the S9 jr antennas??

Once again, Thanks in advance for any input.

KI7DNO

Technically, it would be rather easy. The problem would be that there isn't much demand for it - not just those two bands. This is where home brewing comes in.

Can you direct me to a website or book with a good home brew antenna design for those bands.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You do realize this is an old thread. He's probably gone through several antennae by now.

k9wkj

and to add more new to old...
i was thinking of a 1/4 wave on 10> 29.6 Mhz = 99.68 inches
and a 1/2 wave on 6> 52.5 Mhz = 112.4 inches

the 1/4 wave will be easy to feed
but the 1/2 will be a very high impedance

i guess im not smart enough to work out that feed network

prcguy

I should be easy to make a combo 10m/6m 1/4 wave ground plane. The unused element should be all but ignored except for a little extra capacitance to ground.

I might start with an SO-239 to 3/8" stud adapter mounted to a large piece of angle stock that will support mast mount U bolts and enough area to attach four ground radials. I would then attach a 6" wide T bar on top of the stud adapter threaded for two whips.

4 to 6" spacing between whips should be ok and I would use four 1/4 elements cut for 10m or if at the peak of a roof, lots of chicken wire. You should be able to tune each whip for a good match with no problem. Any other dual band design besides maybe a well documented project for a dual band J pole would be very difficult to pull off.
prcguy

and to add more new to old...
i was thinking of a 1/4 wave on 10> 29.6 Mhz = 99.68 inches
and a 1/2 wave on 6> 52.5 Mhz = 112.4 inches

the 1/4 wave will be easy to feed
but the 1/2 will be a very high impedance

i guess im not smart enough to work out that feed network

k9wkj

I should be easy to make a combo 10m/6m 1/4 wave ground plane. The unused element should be all but ignored except for a little extra capacitance to ground.
prcguy

i had not thought of two radiators
i was thinking of some magic network to feed it :twisted:

but the 2 radiators would be much simpler! :D

prcguy

There is another antenna I've had which can be built in many variations in a biconical (bicone) or a bow tie. I have a military OE-254 bicone, which is a dipole configuration with three elements pointing up that fan out to about 8ft apart and three that point down the same way. Its fed in the center with a modified 4:1 balun and covers 30 to 88Mhz and everything in between. I made some elements about 6in longer than stock and it worked great on 10m and 6m.

I have an article where someone made a field expediant version using wire elements in a bow tie shape and fed with an easy to make 4:1 balun. I used my OE-254 for years on 10m, 6m and all of VHF low band until I replaced it with separate higher performing antennas for 10m and 6m.

I'll try and find the military bow tie field expedient article and post a link. That version easily coveres 30 to 88MHz and if made a little bigger would cover CB through 6m no problem.
prcguy

i had not thought of two radiators
i was thinking of some magic network to feed it :twisted:

but the 2 radiators would be much simpler! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.