How to use an antenna matcher help

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

I have an old antenna matcher for CB antennas and would like to use it to get my 99a Antron to tune so I can use it for 10 meters. Does anyone know how to go about using this matcher. The CB antenna has a good 1.1 SWR at channel 20 but tooo high at 28.485 10 meters. Can anyone walk me through using this antenna matcher? Thanks Ron

Attachments

• 20120104_7.JPG
    20120104_7.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,345
  • 20120104_8.JPG
    20120104_8.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,284

LtDoc

I know nothing about that particular "matcher", but can give you an educated guess about how useful it will be. You won't like what I have to say about it though.
that particular 'matcher' is just too small to do much 'matching' (impedance matching). There are, or can be, some fairly hefty voltages produced during impedance matching. That usually means that the components used in that 'matcher' are going to be larger than will fit in that small of a package if the impedances are not very 'close' to right. If it's used in conjunction with the matching device on the antenna, you may be able to make things decent over a fairly wide range of frequencies. But that means adjusting the antenna it's self, which is what you're trying to get away from, right? Just not too practical in general. "WG" is also right about the power handling ability of that thing, don't expect much at all in that regard.
Tuners/matchers are useful, but they have to be of a reasonable 'size' to be really useful. They do not affect the antenna's state of tune at all, they only match the radio's impedance to the antenna system's impedance. Think of them as a variable impedance transformer, sort of like a variable voltage transformer. They can make some fairly unsuitable antennas 'usable', but they are not going to make them 'suitable' (if that makes sense).
- 'Doc

(Save that knob and throw the rest away.)

W2NJS

Better yet, buy the ARRL Antenna Book and learn the theory behind what it is you're trying to do. That way you probably won't get hurt messing with your antenna system. You've probably never seen a person with an RF burn on his hand but, believe me, it's not a pretty sight.

darticus

TOOOO many Ham guys say buy the book when they just don't want to help. Good line!

Better yet, buy the ARRL Antenna Book and learn the theory behind what it is you're trying to do. That way you probably won't get hurt messing with your antenna system. You've probably never seen a person with an RF burn on his hand but, believe me, it's not a pretty sight.

W2NJS

Ron, you've proven time and again on this Board that you don't listen to advice given when you ask for it, so should we assume that this is because you're unable to read? Reading is the way you learn about things and, more important, retain that knowledge. What I suggested is indeed a "good line," because it's been proven to work. Maybe if you did more of it you would stop posting questions that you should already have the answers for. The people on this Board have been extremely tolerant of you in the past, so please don't go slamming and flaming others because the advice given does not suit your way of doing things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.