Relm WHS150 (VHS) antenna questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
I have a nearly 20 year old personally owned WHS150. I've melted the antenna off several times over the years and have been able to order identical replacements. Today I melted another one and need another replacement. My OEM source is long gone, so I'm looking at aftermarket antennas. My city dept issues our UHF radios, but my county volunteer dept only provides mobiles for apparatus and we are on our own if we want handhelds. Since our county VFD is on VHS, I can't program my city radio for double duty. I've read that the WHS150 hasn't been reliable for some depts., but mine has been absolutely abused and I want to keep using it until either it or I bite the dust.

I know this forum is for amateur radio and my radio is not in the amateur frequency, but I do know that some people have converted them and might have the knowledge I'm looking for. I'm transmitting to the repeater at 154.010 and receiving at 154.370. Fireground is 154.370 both Tx and Rx. I have found a source for two antenna rated for 150-162, but they are different lengths. One is 6", which is about what the original was. The other is 3.5" long. I'm assuming there is a tighter coil of wire inside and the loading on the Tx will not be affected. However, I'm wondering how much I would lose in range both Tx and Rx with the shorter antenna. I wouldn't bother thinking about the short one, but the last 3" is what I always burn off because it sticks out of the radio pocket on my gear.

Also, does Laird Technologies make a good antenna, and is Tessco a good vendor for small purchases?

3.5" Laird Technologies EXS-150-TNX 150-162 Portable Antenna TNC, 3.5" | TESSCO
6.0" Laird Technologies EXB-150-TNX 150-162 Portable Antenna TNC, 6" | TESSCO

ermin

I have a nearly 20 year old personally owned WHS150. I've melted the antenna off several times over the years and have been able to order identical replacements. Today I melted another one and need another replacement. My OEM source is long gone, so I'm looking at aftermarket antennas. My city dept issues our UHF radios, but my county volunteer dept only provides mobiles for apparatus and we are on our own if we want handhelds. Since our county VFD is on VHS, I can't program my city radio for double duty. I've read that the WHS150 hasn't been reliable for some depts., but mine has been absolutely abused and I want to keep using it until either it or I bite the dust.

I know this forum is for amateur radio and my radio is not in the amateur frequency, but I do know that some people have converted them and might have the knowledge I'm looking for. I'm transmitting to the repeater at 154.010 and receiving at 154.370. Fireground is 154.370 both Tx and Rx. I have found a source for two antenna rated for 150-162, but they are different lengths. One is 6", which is about what the original was. The other is 3.5" long. I'm assuming there is a tighter coil of wire inside and the loading on the Tx will not be affected. However, I'm wondering how much I would lose in range both Tx and Rx with the shorter antenna. I wouldn't bother thinking about the short one, but the last 3" is what I always burn off because it sticks out of the radio pocket on my gear.

Also, does Laird Technologies make a good antenna, and is Tessco a good vendor for small purchases?

Haven't tried Laird but try this place;

Smiley Antennas

Ermin

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Look into a maldol MH-255 for public safety use. this is a 3" 150/450 dual band commercial duckm that's very flexible.
Same antenna as the MH-209 which is cut for 146/446

n9zas

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
Look into a maldol MH-255 for public safety use. this is a 3" 150/450 dual band commercial duckm that's very flexible.
Same antenna as the MH-209 which is cut for 146/446

n9zas
I could only find one with an SMA connector. I need one with a TNC connector.

W2NJS

Tessco has what you need, various lengths (all described as to their frequency coverage), with TNC connectors, etc. etc. As to your question of which VHF antenna works better the answer is the longer one, despite the fact that it gets tangled up in your gear, so it's your choice.

The Smiley Antenna Company is another very good source and I've found them to be a reliable supplier. Many/some of the Smiley units have a separate connector which connects to the antenna unit, so it's sort of a mix and match arrangement. They have an excellent catalog online from which you can do this.

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
I'm curious as to how much of a performance difference to expect between the two antenna lengths. Fireground operations on simplex won't be an issue. However, we do have to reach out a good distance to hit the repeater when communicating with dispatch or apparatus in surrounding districts.

Status
Not open for further replies.