Antenna Recommendation for PRO106 to pick up 141-156Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kllian

Premium Subscriber
I have a RS PRO106 as my first scanner and I have the stock, the 800Mhz, and a RS extendable antenna.

I'm mainly interested in picking up 141, 147 (skywarn), 155 (local pd), 156 and I'm not sure which would give me the best signal or is there another one that is recommended?

Other times I'm interested in 851, 852, 857 (which ill use the 800Mhz with)

LtDoc

I think you've got things covered too. There are two things, one may help, the other one WILL help. Fisrt, an antenna of the 'correct' length relative to the frequency(s) desired might mean better reception. The one that will help with hearing more is antenna height. VHF/UHF have both Line Of Sight (LOS) characteristics. That means that the further they can 'see', the more they can hear (just like you on a step ladder). There are limits to that height stuff, so just do what you can.
- 'Doc

kllian

Premium Subscriber
I can barely make out the skywarn on 147 with the pro106. What would improve the quality of reception for my location ? A stationary radio and if so which with which antenna?

N1BHH

Simple antennas work quite well, a quarter wave mag mount for VHF will work wonders. Stick it on an air conditioner, or on your metal shelf and it should work fine. Sometimes signals don't propagate too well through building materials, hills and so on, and it's good to have any antenna mounted outside. Of course the higher the better, but outside will work. Depending on terrain, foliage and buildings you will be surprised how well you can hear. Look in the antenna wiki for ideas.

Category:Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.