How to spot a fake Diamond Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

va7wes

I have collected quite a few antennas over the years. My girlfriend will tell you I have OCD when it comes to antennas. I am always on the lookout for antennas everywhere I go. Thrift stores, garage sales, swap meets, back alley's, ebay, etc. I am sure there are some are worse than me, but not many. Over the years I have collected quite a few Diamond Antennas and with that comes some fakes. This is not the end all be all for fake Diamond Antennas as my collection mainly consists of HT antennas. The makers of these replica Diamond Antennas are getting better all the time and have made many improvements over the years.

I often wonder how many fake Diamond Antennas are out there? How many reviews of fake Diamond antennas are on eham? I know there are quite a few. I spotted my first fake in my collection more than 10 years ago.

Fake SRH771. I should have known this one was a fake right away as it had RH771 printed on both the antenna and the packaging. Diamond uses the RH prefix for BNC connectors and SRH for SMA. The packaging had a "SMA Connector" sticker on it made from paper. To date, I have not seen a paper sticker used in advertising on a genuine Diamond Antenna. The printing on the antenna itself is going in the wrong direction. Later fakes have the printing going in the correct direction. Some fakes I have seen have letters that do not form words or speeling mistakes;-)
SRH771-1.jpg

Here is a close up of the packaging. The Font is close but wrong. This looks similar to the font found on a few Nagoya Antenna's I have owned? The E has a triangle, and not a diamond that is found on the genuine Diamond products. The yellow plastic on the packaging is glossy, thin and lacks texture.
SRH771-2.jpg

Fake SRH940. This is one of the latest replica I have come across and its a good one. Non-glossy paper AM sticker.
SRH940-1.jpg

The Diamond font is still wrong but better. Triangle in the E. Thin glossy, non-textured yellow packaging.
SRH940-2.jpg

This antenna looks perfect except for a high SWR on operating bands.
SRH940-3.jpg

Note the replica antenna has the diamond in the E. If the packaging was thrown away, the only way you would be able to tell it was a fake is if you had an antenna analyzer. I wonder how many of these antennas Diamond has replaced thinking they were defective?
SRH940-4.jpg

Close up of the logo on the SRH940 packaging.
SRH940-5.jpg

Close up of a genuine RH770 Diamond Antenna packaging. Note the textured yellow plastic and the diamond in the E
RH770-1.jpg

Logo from genuine Diamond SRH519 packaging. Textured yellow plastic. Diamond in the E.
SRH519-1.jpg

Its a start. I have many more photo of fake and genuine diamond antennas I will add when I have more time. Please add any additional info and photos you may have on genuine or fakes!

Thanks.

N4KVE

How about the Jetstream, & MFJ antennas that are dead ringers of Diamond, & Comet? Are they over runs, or copies? I have a Diamond SG7200 which they don't make anymore, yet MFJ sells the exact antenna for about $35. I wonder what the origin of that antenna is? GARY N4KVE

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Out of ALL of the fake or impostor antennas you found, are they ALL defective with high SWR or are they usable maybe on *other bands* ??
Just wondering if they are a complete waste?

n9zas

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
where did you get the fakes? let me guess...brokenstolencounterfeitradios.com aka Ebay.

Guess the only way to prevent this is to buy from Authorized Diamond/RF Parts dealers, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Diamond isn't the only one with low quality knockoffs. Motorola duckies are the most faked on Ebay. The problem is not only are the fakes cheap, but many of them are inferior inside, with poorly soldered connections. A connection that will open up easily from normal use, resulting in a high SWR and poor performance.

Pretty scary considering people use them on duty radios in public service.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
where did you get the fakes? let me guess...brokenstolencounterfeitradios.com aka Ebay.

Guess the only way to prevent this is to buy from Authorized Diamond/RF Parts dealers, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Diamond isn't the only one with low quality knockoffs. Motorola duckies are the most faked on Ebay. The problem is not only are the fakes cheap, but many of them are inferior inside, with poorly soldered connections. A connection that will open up easily from normal use, resulting in a high SWR and poor performance.

Pretty scary considering people use them on duty radios in public service.

That is why when I need a new antenna for any of my commercial radios I go to the local shop I used to work at, I rather pay the few extra bucks and keep the money here in America then buy something from possumcock china and wait almost a month for it to come in.

gewecke

Banned
That is why when I need a new antenna for any of my commercial radios I go to the local shop I used to work at, I rather pay the few extra bucks and keep the money here in America then buy something from possumcock china and wait almost a month for it to come in.

Ditto! Same practice here.

n9zas

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if this is a problem with the base station antenna's also. I purchased my only Diamond antenna from Universal Radio so I hope its the real thing.

gewecke

Banned
I wonder if this is a problem with the base station antenna's also. I purchased my only Diamond antenna from Universal Radio so I hope its the real thing.

There was a problem several years ago when I bought my X50A where some of the base antennas shipped to the U.S. were not tuned for the U.S.

n9zas

va7wes

If you think you may have a fake but threw away the packaging you can weigh the antenna. All my genuine Diamond antennas weigh more or exactly what is specified on Diamond's website. All the fakes weigh less than the specified weight.

FAKE RH205 Specified weight:90g
IMG_0928.jpg

FAKE SRH771 Specified weight:38g
IMG_0932.jpg

Diamond RH770 Specified weight:85g
IMG_0935.jpg

Diamond SRH779 Specified weight:38g
IMG_0931.jpg

Diamond SRH519 Specified weight:9g
IMG_0934.jpg

Diamond SRH815S Specified weight:10g
IMG_0933.jpg

N6RDC

Where did you get the RH770 antenna? I've been wanting one of these but it seems like I see it in the Japanese catalog but not the American catalog? Love to get a couple if I knew where.

va7wes

I looked for an RH770 for at many years. I went looking for one on my last trip to Tokyo with no luck. I contacted Diamond USA but they quoted me $80 plus shipping. I ended up getting it from these guys in Osaka. www.world-impex.jp/diamond-ant/

Very nice honest people. Quick to ship. You will love the RH770 for 2m/70cm operation.

a1vtmv48

Nagoya NA-771 Antenna

I Ordered 4 Nagoya NA-771 Antennas On E-bay, When I Got Them In The Mail,The Antennas Were Diamond
RH-771. The Rubber Ducky That Came With My Radio Is Way Better Than The Pieces Of **** They Sent Me. I Can't Even Get A Signal With Them. This Can Cause Serious Damage To The Output Transistors In My Radio.To Think That Their Getting Away With This. How Many People Are This Company Ripping Off Over The Internet?The Rating Was About 3 db. Gain. Bull ****.

DW7EKV

this is also same with the cp22e antenna in the phils. theres a taiwan made and japan made.also with the f23 here.theyre almost identical you could hardly identify which one is fake.

cmdrwill

HRO, Ham Radio Outlet, sold us fake and defective Diamond antennas.

And the same defective base station dual band antenna three times...

Status
Not open for further replies.