Custom Ham Radio Antenna Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That takes all the fun away when you can not climb the tower.:lol: I am joking, very nice tilt over. I enjoyed the video, and think you should permanently mount a outdoor netcam at the top after seeing the view.

AgentCOPP1

I've got something very similar in my yard for a multi-room bird house. You just gave me a very good idea lol.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Never have seen a tilt over tower that big. I wish I had one on my back yard. Is that a manufactored tower or was it custom built? Thanks for sharing.

mancow

Database Admin
You sound like Clint Eastwood. You should post an audio clip of "get off my lawn".

DoctorZ

Never have seen a tilt over tower that big. I wish I had one on my back yard. Is that a manufactored tower or was it custom built? Thanks for sharing.

It was a custom build by a Satellite Dish company, back when the huge 12' dishes that had to be rotated were in style. The owner of the company was a former high school Industrial Arts teacher. He really enjoyed building the tower, but said there was no money in it to offer as a product.

WB4CS

Out of curiosity, are there blueprints of how to build one (or one similar) somewhere? That might be a fun project to try someday.

mancow

Database Admin
I like how well it's balanced and how smoothly it operates. Something that large seems like it should be unweildy but it's rock solid.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
DoctorZ...that's an awesome video and a pretty impressive antenna farm. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now, please, I need to know the score in your video is from which movie?? It's a tune I recognize but can't indentify. Help, please!

Russell

QDP2012

Thanks

It was a custom build by a Satellite Dish company, back when the huge 12' dishes that had to be rotated were in style. The owner of the company was a former high school Industrial Arts teacher. He really enjoyed building the tower, but said there was no money in it to offer as a product.

Very nice and well balanced. It would be interesting to see the math calculations used during design.

Do you know how deep into the ground the base goes?

Thanks for sharing,

DoctorZ

Out of curiosity, are there blueprints of how to build one (or one similar) somewhere? That might be a fun project to try someday.

I still own the copy of the tower's blue prints. They are too large to scan though, but I suppose I could take a digital picture and send it to you.

DoctorZ

DoctorZ...that's an awesome video and a pretty impressive antenna farm. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now, please, I need to know the score in your video is from which movie?? It's a tune I recognize but can't indentify. Help, please!

Russell

The music is the theme song from the movie "The Magnificent 7" That's not actually the original music though. I didn't want to get in trouble with copyrights on YouTube, so I downloaded a free Midi file, then ran a little utility program I found that converts Midi's to MP3's. I edited the music to fit the time frame. It worked quite well, and that's a totally unique arrangement of the movie's Theme Song.

DoctorZ

Very nice and well balanced. It would be interesting to see the math calculations used during design.

Do you know how deep into the ground the base goes?

Thanks for sharing,

The base is four feet square by 8 feet deep. There's a welded steel cage embedded into the concrete with rebar driven into the sidewalls of the hole.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
Nice tower, but it's hard to believe its 80ft. the 50 foot pivot is barely above the second story. I would think it is 60 ft, and over 80 at the top of antenna. Also a real nice video

Status
Not open for further replies.