Hidden antenna in the rear bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
Just installed this antenna in the rear bumper.

Attachments

• hiden antenna.jpg
    hiden antenna.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,800

Voyager

Will be interesting to hear how well it works when the paint wears off and you get metal-to-metal contact (and the resulting shorts and static).

Or is that bumper plastic?

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
Yeah , it's all plastic down there, the car was made in late 2000's

Attachments

• bumbperantenna1.jpg
    bumbperantenna1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4,727

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just installed this antenna in the rear bumper.

Seal up the underside of the NMO and where the coaxial cable connects with some suitable sealant. Those style NMO mounts are intended to be installed through the roof where the underside is protected from the weather. Under the bumper you're going to expose it to water, road salts, mud, etc. The exposed coaxial cable will quickly corrode. Water will travel up the inside of the coax and destroy it pretty quick.

Periodic maintenance will be important. Take the antenna off every few months (more often in the winter) and clean the mount really well. Any signs of corrosion and replace it.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
For RX only applications, I just stuck a mag mount antenna on the back side of the factory subwoofer in the trunk of my car. I wouldn't recommend this for transmitting, but for monitoring the county's trunked system it works absolutely fine and required no effort to install.

The radio itself is totally hidden behind the carpet liners in the trunk as well. Control head is up front installed in the dashboard in place of the cigarette lighter and ashtray assembly.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
What is it with wives making technical decisions? Compromise. No hole for my antenna? Oh,..OK....no money for your new wardrobe.

Voyager

I've been using a very similar 'stealth' antenna under the car (UHF) for years. They work surprisingly well. I mounted it there to see how well it would work based on how some agencies mount them. Mine is actually on the underside of the trunk compartment, so the cable is protected from weather the same as a roof mount, and the wire was much easier to run.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Great idea! I just got a new car and have been weighing my antenna options. I will have to look under it later and see if I can pull that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.