Dual Band HT antenna for Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakesna

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there has probably been a bunch of these threads but I am looking for some fresh ideas. I got an expert power whip antenna for my baofeng off of amazon. Most of the reviews were great for this antenna but there were one or two that said that they had terrible SWR and fried some radios. I don't currently have an SWR meter and right now it seems like its cheaper to just buy a new antenna and not invest in an SWR meter just yet. Here are some basic thoughts for what I am looking for:
Price range from 10-40 bucks
Not too long because I will be using my HT on search and rescue details and for public service events, but I also want to have a decent range because of the terrain I could be encountering and the fact that communications might have to be simplex and not repeater based
Rugged for the same reason as above
Dual band for 2m/70 cm
Preferably a known and trusted brand within the amateur community and not a cheap knockoff

Also looking for some websites other than amazon that I could use for this type of stuff so that I know I am getting the real deal. Any and all input would be great.
Thanks!
Nick
KC3FWP

Last edited:

oakesna

Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming that Nagoya is a reputable brand? I just don't like how in the description on amazon describes how to tell if it is a counterfeit antenna. That has been the reason I have shied away from these antennas

MrGClips

I'm assuming that Nagoya is a reputable brand? I just don't like how in the description on amazon describes how to tell if it is a counterfeit antenna. That has been the reason I have shied away from these antennas

Nagoya is one of the best antenna brands. Do your research!

Green bags made in Taiwan GOOD - Yellow bags made in China JUNK!

MrGClips

Based on his post I would recommend the NA-701, which is not very long, only 8" and gives some flexibility, but:

- For mid-range the N-717 is ultra-flexible, so that can also be a good candidate.
- The 771 is much more powerful, but it's 15.6" long and would get in the way.
- The 771-R is retractable and just as powerful as the 771, but it has no flexibility of any kind and MUST be extended completely during transmission, or it will fry the radio.
- The mini 810 is only good for short range, but has the same transmission capability as the stock rubber-duck antenna and is VERY flexible.
- The 308 and the 72 mobile antennas are good on top of the car for MUCH better performance, especially the new 72.

There you go, pick the one you feel to be the best, or buy more (because the're cheap) and figure it out at home, then change them as you need them for the particular purpose and occasion.

nd5y

I bought two of the Nagoya NA-701 8 inch antennas 3 years ago because they were supposed to be good. When I did field strength tests and put them on the antenna analyzer I found out they were not so good and not resonant in the 2m amateur band. The two antennas were slightly different lengths and had different resonant frequencies. They did not appear to be fakes judging by what people had written about the the logo and packaging but I don't know if they were real or not.

The best two short (7-8 inch) dual band antennas I tested were a stock Wouxun antenna and a another that looks just like it, both were the older design without the raised Wouxun logo on the base. The stock one had a red and white 136-174/400-470 label around the connector and the other had no label. I have no idea who made them but they look exactly like an Expert Power antenna.

I had another Wouxun replacement antenna with the raised logo on the base and 136-174/420-520 label which was slightly longer than the other stock antenna and it was resonant around 161 MHz.

I have a bunch of different 7" dual band antennas and they all tested differently on 2m but about the same on 70cm. Being a straight 1/4 wave whip on 70cm appears to make them more broadbanded and difficult to tell exactly where they were resonant. On 2m they were all over the place.

There is a chart on Miklor.com where somebody tested a bunch of antennas. http://www.miklor.com/COM/pdf/AntennaTestingW9MDB.pdf

Here is what's inside the base of a Nagoya NA-701 http://www.rudolf.net.pl/sp9kat/wp-...baofeng/uv5r/schematic/nagoya 701 antenna.pdf

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
If it was me, I'd just buy a Diamond (like the link in another post) or maybe a Comet made for your Baofunk. All kind of people are making rubber duckies now, and it's real easy to make a dummy load and call it an antenna. The most interesting thing about the OP was the comment that people are frying their radios with a bad match. If that's true, I'd pay a few more pennies and get a radio that attenuates or cuts off the transmit when the swr goes bad.

bharvey2

Nagoya antennas do have a good reputation. I can't speak to the issue of counterfeits, though. I'd go with Wyandotte's recommendation and get a Diamond or Comet. If your doing SAR work, you don't want to be skimping on your equipment.

KE0GXN

While I am not an owner of one yet, my research of reviews and commentary on various threads here has led me to believe the antenna recommended by k6cpo is the one you want (Diamond SRJ77CA). It is the one I am getting for my future HT.

Yes, its 15 inches long, but for dual band work on an HT, that was the length recommended by the author of my Tech study guide repeatedly in his book....so given the reviews, comments by folks on here and the respected HAM who wrote my study book, purchasing the Diamond whip is a no-brainer for me.

Good luck with which ever route you choose to go.

bharvey2

I use that antenna it is long but very flexible. Quite an improvement over a stock 7" one as well.

SGB001

Sorry to dredge up an old post but as others have said, the NA-771. I got one after recommendation and it's a really good choice.

KE0GXN

I ended up with the Diamond SRJ77CA.....it is working out great for me so far. Been able to hit repeaters up to 20 miles from the QTH so far.

My only gripe is that it does not seat completely down to my radio (FT-60) and leaves a small gap. By the advice of another member on here I ended putting a small o-ring at the bottom for appearances sake more than anything, as performance was the same either way.

All in all I am happy with it.

KE0GXN

All of my "longer" antennas came with such an O-ring just for that purpose.

I just double-checked my Diamond packaging and no o-ring came with it, (ordered from HRO)...what antennas you have?

I ended up going to Lowes and getting some, they are not the perfect fit, but its working.

Is there an after market o-ring one can purchase from one of the ham retailers specifically for this purpose that you know of?

wb6uqa

nagoya ut 72

I cannot believe what a great antenna this is. Great dual bander with a rare earth magnet. Very good gain on both bands. Can handle 75 watts.$25.95 on amazon.uhf connector ,with adapter cable for Baofeng HTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.