Diamond dual band antenna install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkspear

I just installed a Diamond x50 dual band antenna on the side of my house. I was wondering if having the elements close to the roof will affect its performance? See the photo please, thanks!

KM4QHG

Attachments

• Photo Jan 29.jpg
    Photo Jan 29.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,528

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
It's not going to work nearly as well as it would have if you mounted it at the apex / peak of the roof. That would have put the antenna and radials in the clear. You could use an eave mount.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Those "elements" are more like radials. Their purpose is to keep RF off of your feedline. The way you have your antenna mounted probably won't impact their performance. As others have stated, though, getting your antenna higher and more into the clear will help the overall performance. OTOH, if you are trying to be a bit stealthy, what you've done will work much, much better than any indoor antenna.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I used to use a X50A and they're an excellent antenna for as small as they are. As long as your ground radials aren't near any metal objects like gutters you should have decent performance. :wink: 73, n9zas

bkspear

Thank you all for the responses. I am going to work on getting the antenna installed higher on the apex of the roof. Can anyone recommend an eave mount or small mast to get the antenna higher than the roof line? Thanks again.

Bryan
KM4QHG

mrweather

Can anyone recommend an eave mount or small mast to get the antenna higher than the roof line?
Yeah, basically any tv antenna eave/fascia mount should work. The X50 is not a very big antenna, weight or wind area wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.