Hamstick Dipole Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I currently have two hamsticks, one for 20 meters and the other is for 15 or 17 meters (I don't remember and the label is long gone, so I'll have to check it later). I've read that using two hamsticks with a dipole adapter can be quite effective for portable operations. I'm curious if anyone could offer advice on how it would work to use these two hamsticks that are cut for different bands as a dipole through a tuner such as a Z-817. Obviously most dipoles should be the same wavelength on each half, but would it be worth it for me to try this without buying yet another hamstick? If I chose the particular antenna with the correct bandwidth for as the primary half of the dipole, would the antenna tuner correct the "counterpoise" half? This could give me a decent operation on two separate bands if it would work...

prcguy

Two hamsticks on different bands will not make a very good dipole and it will not match to 50ohm coax and there will be lots of RF currents on the coax. If you have two hamsticks on the same band to make a single band dipole you can add another pair of a different band to the same feedpoint and that will make a multiband dipole.

I would not do this below 20m as the efficiency goes down the toilet but for 20m through 10 or 6m it will make a space saving dipole that works ok.
prcguy

TheSpaceMann

Have had pretty good luck with Hamsticks! A 20 meter Hamstick dipole has yielded very good results when operating portable.

geartow

Use the mfj mount it isolates the antenna from the pole. The others use the mount as a ground path. Which can detune the dipole.

TheSpaceMann

The Hamstick dipoles are relatively inexpensive, and quick and easy to set up.. I have used them indoors and outdoors for portable operations with fairly good results!

Status
Not open for further replies.