2m/440 antenna for attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

Looking to put an antenna in my attic and get back into it. Looking for suggestions on best antenna for the money.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
How much height do you have in the attic? That is an important factor to consider when looking at antenna specs!

For ham, I have a Diamond X50A in my attic. It's about 5' tall and just makes it. I used a simple plastic conduit strap (two hole strap from the electrical aisle at the hardware store) to attach the top end to a rafter. The bottom end just sits on the attic floor.

I also have a variety of scanner and other antennas up there. Most are NMO style mount vehicle antennas, where I put an NMO mount in a metal plate (square sheet, cookie sheet, pizza plate, etc) to serve as a ground plane.

Of course the nice thing about attic antennas is no need to weatherproof!

N5JMC

How much height do you have in the attic? That is an important factor to consider when looking at antenna specs!

For ham, I have a Diamond X50A in my attic. It's about 5' tall and just makes it. I used a simple plastic conduit strap (two hole strap from the electrical aisle at the hardware store) to attach the top end to a rafter. The bottom end just sits on the attic floor.

I also have a variety of scanner and other antennas up there. Most are NMO style mount vehicle antennas, where I put an NMO mount in a metal plate (square sheet, cookie sheet, pizza plate, etc) to serve as a ground plane.

Of course the nice thing about attic antennas is no need to weatherproof!

Where we have flooring I can go about 10 ft. I can move to center and have about 20 ft high but have to mount it to the 2x4s that go up to roof.

Do you mind posting or sending me pics of your antennas? I'd be interested in some for scanner as well.

N5JMC

If possible can you show how you have yours mounted or if it's on a stand?

Wondering if I can mount it to a vertical 2x4 or something.

Also, what coax is best to buy? Plan on running down the wall to a coax box that isn't being used. Will run multiple runs, 1 for ham radio and another for scanner, and possibly another for an 800mhz antenna for my scanner.

FKimble

Another for the Diamond X50. Also in the attic. Mounted to the horizontal cross piece with 2 U clamps, long legged muffler type clamps. Top of antenna is about one inch below the ridge beam. Bottom of antenna is approx 25 feet above ground level. Using 400 flex type cable(ABR brand from HRO). Just try to keep it away from any metal, vents wiring etc. Also mount if possible where it will minimize coax length to the ham shack.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Why not build a dual band j-pole out of window line or twin-lead? Lots cheaper and very effective.

K1DU J-Pole

N5JMC

Why not build a dual band j-pole out of window line or twin-lead? Lots cheaper and very effective.

K1DU J-Pole

I did one before and put it in Pvc at an older house and it worked good. But this time want to try for something better since the house we live in now I can't get out as good for some reason. I could hit a repeater 10-15 miles south in little rock AR from my old house on a HT at 5 watts. We now live 2 miles NW of that house and I can't hit that repeater at all on my HTs. I sold my mobile that I used in house so will be buying another to put out more power as well.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Another vote for the X-50.

For past attic antennas, I've installed two 2x4's (horizontally) between two of the vertical supports at the approximate level of the X-50 mounting sleeve. I then mount the X-50 brackets / mounting sleeve directly to the horizontal pieces with a few screws and install the antenna body to the mount. Connect the coax and done!

John - AC4JK

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Where we have flooring I can go about 10 ft. I can move to center and have about 20 ft high but have to mount it to the 2x4s that go up to roof.

Do you mind posting or sending me pics of your antennas? I'd be interested in some for scanner as well.

I don't have any pictures handy, but...
The X50 is laying on the insulation with the top attached to a rafter to keep it upright. Some of the ground plane antennas (the ones that are NMO mounts with a metal sheet as a ground plane) are laying on the floor of the attic (some parts of the attic have a wood floor) and a couple of the shorter ones are laying on top of horizontal cross braces going across the rafters.
A couple of yagi antennas are mounted with a piece of PVC conduit (as a mast) hanging down from a rafter, again using a 2-hole conduit strap to mount it to the rafter. It's all inside, so no wind movement to worry about.

You must have a very tall attic...that's good for antennas! :) Mine isn't quite tall enough to stand up in at the middle.

TheSpaceMann

Looking to put an antenna in my attic and get back into it. Looking for suggestions on best antenna for the money.
The "best" antenna for the money? If you really want to get out and hit those distant repeaters and/or chase VHF tropo DX, pick up one of those small ELK 2m/440 beams! You can mount it on a small TV antenna rotator inside the attic, and it will dramatically improve your range! I have used it from the inside of hotel rooms when traveling, with very good results.

Last edited:

mrweather

I've got a Diamond X30 in my attic and it works for me. If I had an extra foot of headspace I'd have put in the X50.

a417

yeah, no need for steep adirondack roofing where he is located. Wonder what that looks like from the outside?

(too bad the Google Maps street view imagery is from 2008.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.