auto-tuner placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveJacobsen

I have a 10/12meter radio with an external amp; I would like to use an automatic tuner. It seems logical (to me) that the optimal placement would be right before the antena (radio-amp-tuner-antenna).

However, my potential output power is higher than what the tuner (in my budge) is rated for.
Can I place it after the radio (radio-tuner-amp-antenna) w/o doing damage to anything? (and will it still work)
thanks

(fwiw: I will be using a fixed dipole antenna)

cmdrwill

snip) However, my potential output power is higher than what the tuner (in my budge) is rated for. Can I place it after the radio (radio-tuner-amp-antenna) w/o doing damage to anything? (and will it still work) thanks.

(fwiw: I will be using a fixed dipole antenna)

No. the tuner 'tunes' the antenna. So you would need a higher rated tuner AFTER the 'amp' and preferably near the antenna.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
No. the tuner 'tunes' the antenna.
To be a bit more accurate, the tuner matches the source to the antenna.

As others have stated, the antenna match, aka tuner, must be placed between the power amplifier and the antenna.

In all cases, a resonant antenna is best solution because it presents the correct load to the transmitter or amplifier.

DaveJacobsen

That's what I thought, was just a bit hopeful/wishful & figured I'd check.
The antenna I have doesn't have the bandwidth for 10 & 12 meters; I use mostly 10, and wanted to use 12 occasionally... I cannot put up a 2nd antenna.
Thanks!

kj3n

In all cases, a resonant antenna is best solution because it presents the correct load to the transmitter or amplifier.

In all cases? My 80m doublet isn't anywhere near resonant on 20m, but it sure kicks butt there. Of course, it isn't fed with coax, so that might have something to do with it. ;)

wb6uqa

Don't use the amp. Some amps have a pi network and can tune a 3 to 1 swr. Don' run high power through your tuner if it is not rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.