MFJ-969 antenna tuner with loop antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverf0x

Premium Subscriber
I have an MFJ-969 antenna tuner, but I really want to give loop antennas a try. I've looked up how to make one myself, but I figure the 969 can do what a standard variable capacitor can do (even though zero documentation on the 969 states support for a loop antenna).

I have my HF radio (Yaesu 757GX) running to the 969, and a feed line going from the 969 to an (approximate) 5ft. copper tube. The end of the feed line connected to the loop is split and connected with alligator clips (center wire and braided shield).

The SWR meter shows about 1.5:1 on the 10m band, which is much better than I expected. No contacts though, as I'm indoors surrounded by way too much RF noise/interference (computers, monitors, etc.).

I'm wondering if anyone can think of why this wouldn't be a good idea to continue on with? I quickly ran through the scenario in my head and nothing really stood out as a to why this would be a bad idea, and nothing blew up when I keyed the mic.

I'm looking for a second opinion or three, as well as comments from the peanut gallery.

73s

Status
Not open for further replies.