SWR Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Need some advice on what to look for....I have a Diamond X50 mounted to an antenna mast that is grounded.
On 2 meters the SWR is almost non existent but on 70cm it is wicked high. The antenna is supposed to be good for both bands...did I overlook something? I am using RG8X coax..Running a Yaesu FT-857 as my base and and MFJ Duplexer. Thanks in advance. John W1COD

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
John, you MAY have a defective X50. Did you just get the X50 or has it been up awhile? I've had the x50 in the past and used it for years with no issues, but there is a capacitor in the bottom which can fail, if it does it Can be repaired. 73, n9zas

Weaksignal

John,
RG-8X is fine for shortwave listening, but not so good for VHF+. 80 watts of power is about the upper limit on 440 MHz for RG-8X. The attenuation (dB per 100') is around 8.0... They're better choices for VHF. LMR 400 would be a better, even for a short run on 144 and 440 MHz.

prcguy

Did you check the SWR through the diplexer or direct to the antenna? I've run across a few bad diplexers out there. If SWR checks bad right to the antenna, especially with a short and known good length of coax then it may not be something you can't fix. Now that I read the original post again, why is there a diplexer in line? One antenna connector on the 857 is for HF through 6m and the other is for 2m and 440, you should just plug the X50 into the VHF/UHF port.
prcguy

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Good catch prcguy......I had an 857 for a bit and thought I remembered two antenna ports!!!!!

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
SONO***UN!!

Took out the duplexor...and sure enough 1 to .5 on 440 now and almost 1 to 1 on 2M!!
That was it!!! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.