Mount Ground Plane Antenna to Utility Pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbailey1712

I have a 2m/440 Ground Plane that I would like to get outside and up in the air from a 1st floor window.

Roof mounting isn't realistic, so I'm looking at options on the side of the house. Nearby is a 2" Vertical Conduit pipe for the electrical feed that runs from the ground to about 20' in the air. As it's earth grounded, is there any concern in attaching a mounting bracket to this pipe?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, so were not talking about the wood utility pole that belongs to the electric utility, because that would be off limits...

Since you'd want the vertical radiator up above the conduit, this is going to put the antenna and ground radials close to the weather head and incoming power feed. Probably not an ideal situation, and under some circumstances, dangerous.

There may be better ways to do this, but if it really is the only option, then at least use a TV antenna mast or piece of conduit to get the antenna well up away from the weather head and conductors. This is going to take some brackets to do right, but would be a slightly better solution.

tbailey1712

OK, so were not talking about the wood utility pole that belongs to the electric utility, because that would be off limits...

That's correct. Not the wood pole. It's the 2" steel service pipe

Since you'd want the vertical radiator up above the conduit, this is going to put the antenna and ground radials close to the weather head and incoming power feed. Probably not an ideal situation, and under some circumstances, dangerous.

There may be better ways to do this, but if it really is the only option, then at least use a TV antenna mast or piece of conduit to get the antenna well up away from the weather head and conductors. This is going to take some brackets to do right, but would be a slightly better solution.

Since I don't have a ladder that will reach up above the weather head, what's the concern in having the vertical radiator below it? Merely a limiter of how much RF can be radiated?

bharvey2

Attaching antennas to any active electrical conduit or components is just outright dangerous. Don't do it. In fact, best installation practices would dictate that you wouldn't install an antenna or mast close enough that it would come in contact should the antenna or mast fall.

While a little outside the box, consider using cyclone fence tubing (use the heavier guages). It's actually pretty strong. Construct a base at ground level to attach the bottom of the tubing and also attach it at the eave of your house. The longer lengths are 21' and 24' depending upon diameter. I wouldn't get too wild with the size of the antenna but a single 2M/70cm, 1/4wave GP shouldn't place too much stress on you installation. Again, keep everything a long way away from any electrical service, overhead service drops, etc.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Because having a piece of anything conductive next to the radiating element will dramatically skew tuning, screw your emission pattern, and raise SWR through the roof. Raising the radiator above the top of the metal support pipe is NOT optional.

Borrow a taller ladder.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Even tho the wires coming in from the power company are insulated, it still is dangerous to have any antenna with in reach of those lines! Read the instructions that come with any antenna and there are warnings that state that the antenna should be a distances of twice the length of said antenna, (I may be wrong about that distances since it's been a while that I've put one up that's out of the box).
During high wind or mounting hardware failure, the antenna could contact and rub the insulation off the hot wires and be a dangerous situation to people and your home!
Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.